Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possession?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possession?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post

2010???? What regulation is it though......That's what I can't find. A q&a board is not a stated regulation. Trust me enough people tell me that I am wrong, so I want to believe it.....I truly can not find what regulation I would be cited for breaking if I continue to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    You’re not allowed to fish for salmon once you limited out. Catching a salmon as a by-catch is a different situation. If you’re targeting steelhead or striper and hook up on a salmon you must release it. That’s not against the law. As far as the Klamath, I’ve never heard that that’s the only river where “one and done” is enforced. Sounds like BS to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, where do you get this info from.......Please tell me! There is nowhere in the regs book where it says this....what is a warden going to cite you for if there is no regulation in the book.

As far as the Klamath goes it's in the supplemental regulations and new for this year.

See the link below:
    http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte.../18CASF_LR.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Snowtrout; 10-04-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If its strictly a fishery impact type thing, then wouldn't CnR ing say 10 fish in a day and never retaining one cause just as much harm???? CnR isn't illegal and you don't have to quit fishing after you CnR 1 fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    You do not have to cease fishing for the day once you have you limit here in the valley. You can continue to catch and release as long as you do not net the fish or take it out of the water.

The only river system with a cease fishing order is the Klamath. Check out the supplemental regulations....only on the Klamath does it say you have to stop fishing once a legal fish is retained.

Good to CNR on all other rives if you already have your daily limit.
    You’re not allowed to fish for salmon once you limited out. Catching a salmon as a by-catch is a different situation. If you’re targeting steelhead or striper and hook up on a salmon you must release it. That’s not against the law. As far as the Klamath, I’ve never heard that that’s the only river where “one and done” is enforced. Sounds like BS to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Completely disagree and can assure you a warden would write you a ticket for continuing to fish once you’ve retained your limit. This is true anywhere a limit is placed on a species and it has to do with impact on the fishery. If you want to be by the book folks, do your research, and not on a fishing forum.

I want to agree with you......please show me in the books where it says this other than on the Klamath.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    In CA, once you have caught your limit, your are done fishing for that specie. If you have caught your salmon limit and continue fishing for salmon with the same gear, you are still considered pursing that specie, that you already have a limit of. C&R is not allowed at that point. If you catch another salmon and that fish dies in your possession (in net) what do you do? Keep it=over limit. Put it dead back in the river=wanton waste. Both are citations along with continuing to fish while limit is filled.

Only exception that I can think of: bass tournaments. They usually have a special permit that allows for culling and continued fishing when they have 5 in possession.

If you C&R only, releasing every single fish is not considered take. You have not kept a fish. Take=kept

Sorry but this is not correct........Nowhere in the regs does it say such a thing.....except for the special regs on the Klamath. So if it says that for the Klamath, but not for any other river, why would you assume that is true on all the other rivers.

And as far as dying in the net, that's also why I said no netting....even a live fish in the net is considered possession.

Again show me where it says you can not "pursue" one you have your daily bag limit. If it is not written in the regs, you can't be cited for a violation.

Post Thanks / Like

In CA, once you have caught your limit, your are done fishing for that specie. If you have caught your salmon limit and continue fishing for salmon with the same gear, you are still considered pursing that specie, that you already have a limit of. C&R is not allowed at that point. If you catch another salmon and that fish dies in your possession (in net) what do you do? Keep it=over limit. Put it dead back in the river=wanton waste. Both are citations along with continuing to fish while limit is filled.

Only exception that I can think of: bass tournaments. They usually have a special permit that allows for culling and continued fishing when they have 5 in possession.

If you C&R only, releasing every single fish is not considered take. You have not kept a fish. Take=kept
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 10-04-2018 at 01:42 PM.

9. Likes Troutbead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    Yes, I have called DFG HQ by the hatchery.......The "One and Done" thing in only on the Klamath.

I challenge anyone to find a regulation in the regs book that says you have to stop other than on the Klamath.

Good to continue fishing as long as you do not take the fish out of water or net him....netting or removing from the water even for a second is considered possession once you have one on the stringer. Don't even take him out to take a photo.
    Just release him in the water when the fight is over!
    Completely disagree and can assure you a warden would write you a ticket for continuing to fish once you’ve retained your limit. This is true anywhere a limit is placed on a species and it has to do with impact on the fishery. If you want to be by the book folks, do your research, and not on a fishing forum.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

11. Likes jjb, Kaban12, Troutbead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Think about it this way.....if you don't even want to keep a fish at all........according to the one and done(if it were true), you would have to stop fishing after you CnR one fish. If that's the case, even when the limit was two, how were folks having 5-10 fish days in the basin? Would that make them 5 over their limit even if they didn't keep one?
    And how would a warden know if you have already CnR'd one, or two, or six.......see what im getting at?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast