Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod and Reel suggestions for AR Steelhead float fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Danes View Post
    What is the reason for that heavy a line for Steelhead?
    The reason most anglers and guides use the thicker bouyant 30-50lb Hydrofloat yellow hi- vis for steelhead is for visability. When float fishing you want the main line off the surface as much as possible, drag free so it doesn't pass up the float so the angler can see the bright yellow hi-vis main line mend, it's not b/c it's needed for strength. Thickness is only for the angler to see it easier, to manage the floating line down stream. The steelhead won't see or be bothered by the thicker hi-vis line either that's mostly off the water...Hydrofloat is a Spectra based line with a thermal fused coating. Although the line can be used in many applications and works well on both spinning and bait casting reels, the specialty technique it was designed for was float fishing for both salmon and steelhead. The fused coating of Hydrofloat makes this line more buoyant than traditional Spectra lines, allowing the angler to have a drag free drift by always being able to see and manage the line on the surface. Fluorocarbon line leader is prefered on the very clear water for steelhead. Some use 8lb to 15lb leaders with small split shot spread out, so from the float the leader is now lined straight up and down to the worm/fly or roe.
    Last edited by Mark1; 10-18-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point, my mind instantly went to salmon since Ive been float fishing every night for them. For steelhead, I definitely would use the fireline crystal and 12lb maxima. Same rod set up

I got these roe barges on the brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Seeker View Post
    I run 30lb PLINe Hydrofloat as main, 20lb Maxima Ultragreen leader. You can also use Fireline Crystal for a main line, it floats decent.

Post Thanks / Like

Rod and Reel suggestions for AR Steelhead float fishing

Thanks all. I am going to look for a long 9'6" - 10'6" rod 6 - 12 lb. What weight rating should the rod have. I have a noodle rod for shad drift fishing but that doesn't work well casting heavy floats. What is the weight of the floats and sinkers for steelhead float fishing?

Also, someone mentioned PLINE hydro float. Is that for the main line for float fising? What lb test do you use for the hydro float and what leader do you use with this?
    I run 20lb PLINe Hydrofloat as main,
    12lb Maxima Ultragreen leader. You can also use Fireline Crystal for a main line, it floats decent.

Last edited by Chrome Seeker; 10-17-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I am going to look for a long 9'6" - 10'6" rod 6 - 12 lb. What weight rating should the rod have. I have a noodle rod for shad drift fishing but that doesn't work well casting heavy floats. What is the weight of the floats and sinkers for steelhead float fishing?

Also, someone mentioned PLINE hydro float. Is that for the main line for float fising? What lb test do you use for the hydro float and what leader do you use with this?

Post Thanks / Like

For the money I think its hard to beat the Shimano Clarus for $99. The old Buzz Ramsey Berkley Air IM7/8 was just as good but for some stupid reason Berkley discontinued them. For a float rod Id go with a spinning setup. Reel recommendation would be the Shimano Nasci 3000.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

What are recommendations for a rod and reel for AR and Feather River Steelhead float and 'bobber doggin' fishing - low to mid range price (not G Loomis) ? Also pro's and con's of baitcaster vs spinning reel for float and drift fishing.

The !0'6" 6-12lb mod. fast action is a good length/wgt. for float fishing steelhead imo and Raven red/black steelhead float bobbers do well, there's different float bobbers. A long pole preferably so you can hold the pole up high keeping the main line off the water best you can so it doesn't out run the float. 9'6" pole would be the shortest pole size to go with imo for float, that's up to you. A baitcasting reel may be easier to let line out gradually when depressed but if the bobber drops, thumb the line and set the hook then reel. Spinning reels you'll need to flip over the bail and set the hook and maybe a bit harder. You'll need little more weight for the baitcaster to cast out enough so you don't backlash. Add P-line 30 lb. Hydrofloat Hi-vis yellow main line, 10-12 lb flourocarbon leader for clear water. My friend use a 13 ft. pole, center-pin reel, looks like a fly reel but it's a spinning, uses his hand as the drag. He casts very light lures really far but it's kinda expensive.

It's a float set up mainly used back east and up north, he does great on the American. A few guys are now using it for steelhead. Spinning rods around a $100 are the Okuma Celilo for $54, I use the 9'6" ML 6-12lb spinning rod $54 for salmon, steelhead even shad so I can cast the dart far in the Sac, float in the Amer. or drift fish in the Amer. for steelhead/shad in the current. I've landed big salmon on it with no problem, using the drag is key. Then there's the Redlines $119, Okuma SST/Lami X11's, Shimano Clarus $79-$99 rods which I own that are good. Just saw the X11 9'6" baitcast 6-15lb at Fisherman's WH, it had the good noodle effect for steelhead. There's $100 Shimano spinning reels and others. I use my Curado 201E on a 10'6 steelhead rod. I use both spinning and baitcasting. There's more poles, go to Sportsman's WH and look up FishUSA.com. You can also buy rubber slip on handles, just use a blow dryer to shink on a cork handle if you like.
    Last edited by Mark1; 10-23-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear that a lot but I love mine. I think the new graphite handle rods are slick for $99. Okuma does have the best warranty right now (so Ive heard). Theyre guide selects are nice rods. The new redlines with the sanded granite handles are better, but still made in China (which I didnt mind). They make a 911 that would work well. Longer the better. The floating line is key I think, more important than a lot. Otherwise its a different ball game float fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Seeker View Post
    Something long, 9ft plus, 6-12lb. Need that noodle effect. I use a spinning reel with PLINE hydro float.

I would look into a Lamiglas x11 or Okuma SST. Doesnt need to be sensitive since you can see the float. Get a graphite handle unless you like pink cork.

I'd stay away from the X11. Seen 5 of them blow up on big fish in the last two years although they were on Salmon. The Okuma is a great choice or bump up to the Lami Redline series.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

What are recommendations for a rod and reel for AR and Feather River Steelhead float and 'bobber doggin' fishing - low to mid range price (not G Loomis) ? Also pro's and con's of baitcaster vs spinning reel for float and drift fishing.
    Something long, 9ft plus, 6-12lb. Need that noodle effect. I use a spinning reel with PLINE hydro float.

I would look into a Lamiglas x11 or Okuma SST. Doesnt need to be sensitive since you can see the float. Get a graphite handle unless you like pink cork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast