Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided line

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Braided line

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    There is no disadvantage to using braid. Which is why some of the best guides in the Sacramento area have switched to running braid on their gear including koke gear. Running 20lb braid and then using and Alberto knot to 30 feet of mono allows for plenty of stretch when paired with a quality rod and reel.

The added benefit is when you're trolling for trout it allows you to top line really far behind the boat, all the while you have a little less stretch in the line. Which allows for better hook sets. It also allows for more line to remain on the reel during long setbacks.

You guys are over thinking this stuff.
    Cool, Steve was a guide and knows more than I do. I agree about the setbacks, but when fishing in shallow waters on top (which does happen this time of year for Kokes in some places) you can easily snag the bottom and braid gives you a extra few seconds to respond. It is all good to me, just go fishing....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

2. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    Completely agree. I think you and I would also agree that like and advantage can be two different things. A hammer and a screwdriver can both pound a nail into wood....one just does a better job.

There is no disadvantage to using braid. Which is why some of the best guides in the Sacramento area have switched to running braid on their gear including koke gear. Running 20lb braid and then using and Alberto knot to 30 feet of mono allows for plenty of stretch when paired with a quality rod and reel.

The added benefit is when you're trolling for trout it allows you to top line really far behind the boat, all the while you have a little less stretch in the line. Which allows for better hook sets. It also allows for more line to remain on the reel during long setbacks.

You guys are over thinking this stuff.

4. Likes Jetspray, BigUnInDaBoat, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    They promote because they like it. No other reason that I can think of. Do you have a favorite T-Shirt? It's about the same I guess.
    Completely agree. I think you and I would also agree that like and advantage can be two different things. A hammer and a screwdriver can both pound a nail into wood....one just does a better job.
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 04-06-2019 at 02:07 PM.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How small of reels are people using? I use Daiwa Lexa 100s, small baitcasters, for both jigging and trolling for kokes. Line capacity is the last thing I worry about since they can hold 130+yds of 10lb mono.

LineStretcher, you and I already stated braid isnt the best option when downrigging for kokanee. Just trying to understand why people like to promote it
    They promote because they like it. No other reason that I can think of. Do you have a favorite T-Shirt? It's about the same I guess.

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    When your fishing for Koke's you typically are using light gear and small reels.
    How small of reels are people using? I use Daiwa Lexa 100s, small baitcasters, for both jigging and trolling for kokes. Line capacity is the last thing I worry about since they can hold 130+yds of 10lb mono.

LineStretcher, you and I already stated braid isnt the best option when downrigging for kokanee. Just trying to understand why people like to promote it

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Im in the minority on here when it comes to promoting braid off the dr. And I love braid!!

Just curious.
    For those promoting braid, what advantage(s) does braid give over mono when on the dr for kokanee?
    When your fishing for Koke's you typically are using light gear and small reels. Braid is much smaller diameter than mono of equal strength so you can get more line on the reel. That can be helpful during the fight but it also makes it easy to pull off 50 ft of line if you get hung up or chafe it and you still have enough on the spool to continue fishing.

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I’m in the minority on here when it comes to promoting braid off the dr. And I love braid!!

Just curious.
    For those promoting braid, what advantage(s) does braid give over mono when on the dr for kokanee?
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 04-06-2019 at 07:37 AM.

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ona4day View Post
    Hell yeah, braid all the way! 12 or 20lb braid, 30 of 8lb flouro leader. Chamberlain releases. Works great and know a couple guides that run the same setup. Lets you run nice small reels (lc100) with plenty of line.
    Advantages to braid, I put a S-Pro swivel between the mainline braid and whatever mono/floro leader no longer than the tip of the rod to the butt. S-Pro's are very small but have a high strength. As far as the DR's I make sure of the pull out strength first by releasing one about 2 ft deep and watching how the presentation is going. Like LineStretcher said they have soft mouths and kind of a light bite....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

16. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Braided line

Quote Originally Posted by Ona4day View Post
    Hell yeah, braid all the way! 12 or 20lb braid, 30 of 8lb flouro leader. Chamberlain releases. Works great and know a couple guides that run the same setup. Lets you run nice small reels (lc100) with plenty of line.

Chamberlain release's WORK / lake kokanee to ocean salmon with braid..

18. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

20. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast