Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Weatherby. 257 Weatherby Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    yea..barrel break in. that ship has sailed. i bought mine when i was much younger and more..err..enthusiastic. its been years, but i think mine came with a card that some dude from the factory shot at a target. with regular leaded ammo, i can get .25" groups @100.. now after not shooting for 11 years. no...not so much. last time, i got a 0.75" group about 8 months ago and i was stoked. my rifle does NOT like the Barnes stuff. i've been using WipeOut copper remover but i will look for the Bore Tech stuff. i just want to start with a clean barrel..i am pushing for a cow elk and antelope next year. it's been too long since i took an animal with a rifle.
    I have 6 Weatherby's. 2 are Vanguard Series 2's (.308 and 270) and 4 are Mark V deluxe. I've got the .257, a 6.5-300 and two 300's. One of the 300's was a gun show burnt out .257 that I re barreled with a used 300 barrel that had been shortened 2" and threaded for a muzzle brake. Turned out that barrel was bent but I was able to straighten it to better than factory spec's so I trued up the 1958 receiver, lapped the bolt lugs and squared the bolt face and put a Boyd's stock on it. That thing is a tack driver and out shoots my brand new 300. Last time out it was shooting .28 at 100 yards with factory ammo. It's sort of become my range gun and has turned several of my other non-B rifles into safe queens. In other words, I love my B's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    The Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets are all copper and you can get them in Weatherby factory ammo, you just have to look for them. Midway USA has them.. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/50...free-box-of-20 All Weatherby's are notorious for copper fouling. All the guy's I know with B's use Bore Tech Eliminator to clean them with. It will get the copper out and you can get it on Amazon. After it's clean and before you first hunt, take it out to a range and shoot 3 rounds to put a little copper back in it and then don't clean it until the season is over or 20 rounds whichever comes first. The break in on these rifles is 10 rounds with a cleaning between each round then ten 3 round groups with a cool down and cleaning between each group. It costs almost 200.00 just to get them broke in and sighted in but it's worth it as you can see by the way mine shoots.
    yea..barrel break in. that ship has sailed. i bought mine when i was much younger and more..err..enthusiastic. its been years, but i think mine came with a card that some dude from the factory shot at a target. with regular leaded ammo, i can get .25" groups @100.. now after not shooting for 11 years. no...not so much. last time, i got a 0.75" group about 8 months ago and i was stoked. my rifle does NOT like the Barnes stuff. i've been using WipeOut copper remover but i will look for the Bore Tech stuff. i just want to start with a clean barrel..i am pushing for a cow elk and antelope next year. it's been too long since i took an animal with a rifle.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    I have this caliber. Mine (or the shooter -Me) do not shoot that well. That is GREAT shooting.

Ive taken three desert mulies with mine. It just topples them. I put it away in 2007 for bow hunting. Buying non-toxic ammo for it is horrible. Im not sure, but the sizzling fast ammo seems to copper foul my barrel quickly.

Im gonna save it for non-CA hunts. Like next years Wyoming antelope. I remember it shooting factory 120 grain nosler Ps very well.
    The Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets are all copper and you can get them in Weatherby factory ammo, you just have to look for them. Midway USA has them.. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/50...free-box-of-20

All Weatherby's are notorious for copper fouling. All the guy's I know with B's use Bore Tech Eliminator to clean them with. It will get the copper out and you can get it on Amazon. After it's clean and before you first hunt, take it out to a range and shoot 3 rounds to put a little copper back in it and then don't clean it until the season is over or 20 rounds whichever comes first.

The break in on these rifles is 10 rounds with a cleaning between each round then ten 3 round groups with a cool down and cleaning between each group. It costs almost 200.00 just to get them broke in and sighted in but it's worth it as you can see by the way mine shoots.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this caliber. Mine (or the shooter -Me) do not shoot that well. That is GREAT shooting.

Ive taken three desert mulies with mine. It just topples them. I put it away in 2007 for bow hunting. Buying non-toxic ammo for it is horrible. Im not sure, but the sizzling fast ammo seems to copper foul my barrel quickly.

Im gonna save it for non-CA hunts. Like next years Wyoming antelope. I remember it shooting factory 120 grain nosler Ps very well.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plonis View Post
    What an amazing rifle! I wish I could own something like this one day. By the way, were do you buy rifle scopes?
    It depends, I look for the best deals. OpticsPlanet and Scheels for the most part. On the very expensive scopes i go with an authorized dealer and dont worry about getting a great deal. I feel it's better to have good service than a good price.

Post Thanks / Like

What an amazing rifle! I wish I could own something like this one day. By the way, were do you buy rifle scopes?

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brokea--boater View Post
    We're going to the range when she gets caught up with everything and see she what she thinks about the 6mm. It's awesome cartridge, Remington totally blew it with their marketing back in the 60's, and 243 Winchester won the following of shooters, even though 6mm can be hand loaded to slightly better numbers. My dad built this one, it has a Douglas barrel, and bedded to a hand crafted stock. It's a tack driver for sure, and easy on the shoulder. I hesitate to upgrade the old but still perfect working 3x9 Bushnell, since its been on the gun since it was built by my dad in the late 60's and that was the latest and greatest back in the day and how he used it and I grew up using it hunting with him. The jury is still out on to upgrade the scope. Sorry to read about your cancelled trip, sounded like a outstanding opportunity. Get you arss to the gym and prep for next year, it'll come quick, time seems to be flying by nowadays,,,gregg
    Gregg, as soon as my blood tests show my Testosterone on the rise I'll head to the gym. Right now all that happens is all pain and no gain.

You're 6mm sounds sweet, Remington stuck with the 1 in 12 twist rate and they couldn't push the heavier bullets so the market just went away. I've always wondered how the .243 Win would perform and today I got my chance to try it out. I did the first 10 rounds of the break in and so far it's pushing 100gr accubonds very nicely. For recoil I'd say its like a 6.5 Creedmoor compares to a .308. I've got 30 more rounds and 10 more cleanings to finish the break in and then I'll have a better idea of how well I like it. It's a soft shooter.

Funny thing happened at the range today. I was sighting in the .257 and my neighbor was shooting 1/8" AR500 steel plates with his 5.56. He wanted to shoot the 257 so I let him but told him to shoot his steel not my target. The 257 punched a hole all the way through it. I was shocked.

8. Likes brokea--boater, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're going to the range when she gets caught up with everything and see she what she thinks about the 6mm. It's awesome cartridge, Remington totally blew it with their marketing back in the 60's, and 243 Winchester won the following of shooters, even though 6mm can be hand loaded to slightly better numbers. My dad built this one, it has a Douglas barrel, and bedded to a hand crafted stock. It's a tack driver for sure, and easy on the shoulder. I hesitate to upgrade the old but still perfect working 3x9 Bushnell, since its been on the gun since it was built by my dad in the late 60's and that was the latest and greatest back in the day and how he used it and I grew up using it hunting with him. The jury is still out on to upgrade the scope. Sorry to read about your cancelled trip, sounded like a outstanding opportunity. Get you arss to the gym and prep for next year, it'll come quick, time seems to be flying by nowadays,,,gregg

10. Likes LineStretcher, Jetspray liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brokea--boater View Post
    Thats money right there. How was the recoil, maybe it is something for thought for my wife if she doesn't like the Rem 6mm that I want her to try,,,gregg
    Gregg, the recoil is about the same as a .270.

If you're interested, I have a Weatherby Vanguard in Win .243 (6mm). It has the Hogue fully bedded stock and a Vortex Diamondback 6x9 scope. It's never been shot. Its next on my list for a proper break in.

If you want a Mark V for her then the Camila is the one you want. The 240 Magnum is a great 6mm round that Lisa would have no problem with. It's good for coastal deer up to Muleys and goats (Antelope).

The .257 WM is crazy fast at up to 3800 fps and 3000 ft lbs of energy. You can take Elk and Black Bear with it.

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats money right there. How was the recoil, maybe it is something for thought for my wife if she doesn't like the Rem 6mm that I want her to try,,,gregg

14. Likes LineStretcher, Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast