Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to Reduce Tangles When Trolling Three Rods.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey916 View Post
    If the worm trailer was on the wrong hook the lure will run out to the side... Just a thought

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    I did have a newbie in the boat last time out. Maybe I should have followed up more often to ensure he was complying with the standard worm-to-hook tutorial we all give first-timers. Thanks!

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

2. Likes redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Like you, I learned from JSTrollin aka Rod to have the center rod's set back shorter that the two outboard rods. Also when turning, use wide sweep and increase your speed up a little then draw back the speed after you completed your turn.

Or, just reel in the center line then set it back after the turn.

Best of luck.
    Thanks Seon. You’re right, Rod has taught me a lot about striper trolling, including how to turn faster when lines are still out. But we always did it with two rods out, never three. As stated above, I’m going to start varying the setback length of the middle rod and keeping rod tips close to water. By the way, I haven’t seen or heard from Rod in ages. Have you? Hope he’s well and getting out on the water with regularity. Also haven’t seen you as much as I used to...we may be fishing different water these days. Hope you’re well, too!
    Last edited by Polebrother; 10-29-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I’ve never had that happen with 3 rod while going straight (turning is another matter). Have your rods on the left and right straight out to the side or on a slight angle toward the back. Have a longer setback on the middle rod. Have the middle rod at least 20’ further set back.
    Check your lures and make sure they are running straight and true. You can adjust the eye if not. If you are picking up a lot of weeds then check your lures more often. Weeds caught up on lures can also make them run untrue.
    Actually it’s not clear to me if this was happening while going straight or turning. If happening while you need to make the widest turns you can. Not easy in the delta. If it happens while turning around and doing a 180 then reel in before doing a 180 turn. If you are just making small course corrections and it happenin* then your lures are not running straight and need adjustment or weed removal.
    Must be the weeds. My tangles have all occurred when running straight...but have been trolling very weedy water lately. Will start paying more attention to my lures to ensure they are fined tuned and running straight. Admittedly, YoZuris have always seemed to run straight, right out of the box. But now I’ll be more vigilant. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foulh00ked View Post
    Also, all rods are 8’6” M
    I mostly use 7-footers but have a couple of 8’2”s. Will start using the longer rods on sides. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Try to keep your baits moving at speed. WIIIIDE turns will help and speed up on corners. One post read center line longer and one post said shorter. {I think} so Idono. But wide safe turns and speed control works for me.
    frui vita et piscium captura
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

7. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only time I have issues while running 3 rods is when one isn’t tracking properly, and it usually is the center lure. Make sure before you set them all out that they are all tracking true, especially after adding a new trailer worm. I often times will forget, assuming it was good before it should be again, and it only takes being off just a small amount

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Likes CDK, Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the worm trailer was on the wrong hook the lure will run out to the side... Just a thought

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

11. Likes Waterdog, redneckpunk, Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like you, I learned from JSTrollin aka Rod to have the center rod's set back shorter that the two outboard rods. Also when turning, use wide sweep and increase your speed up a little then draw back the speed after you completed your turn.

Or, just reel in the center line then set it back after the turn.

Best of luck.

13. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

keep rod tips close to surface.
    leadcore will run better even with long leaders

15. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never had that happen with 3 rod while going straight (turning is another matter). Have your rods on the left and right straight out to the side or on a slight angle toward the back. Have a longer setback on the middle rod. Have the middle rod at least 20’ further set back.
    Check your lures and make sure they are running straight and true. You can adjust the eye if not. If you are picking up a lot of weeds then check your lures more often. Weeds caught up on lures can also make them run untrue.
    Actually it’s not clear to me if this was happening while going straight or turning. If happening while you need to make the widest turns you can. Not easy in the delta. If it happens while turning around and doing a 180 then reel in before doing a 180 turn. If you are just making small course corrections and it happenin* then your lures are not running straight and need adjustment or weed removal.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 10-28-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

17. Likes Polebrother liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast