Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good Year for the Moke!!!

2019 Steelhead will be rocking with maybe larger fish . maybe a few AR adults decided to go to a better river?????
    That`s a great and healthy river the moke is . Lot of food and cover to live in!!!! some that come in from the sea decided to stay put because of the flows and food. Kudos to Jose that runs it there at the hatchery and EBMUD that really cares !!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPR View Post
    Its all about the water. Use Google maps and you can trace the irrigation drains that feed those sloughs all the way to the source of the water (i.e., the diversion in Lake Lodi on the Moke). Also the net penning at the San Joaquin does not allow imprinting all the way down the river for them to refine their homing. Its almost a waste since those fish will die before spawning but there is not enough spawning habitat on the Moke and the hatchery gets enough fish. My advice is to go slay them in the sloughs.
    Problem is getting them to bite. Those fish lockjaw quick.

Last year there was a fallen tree back there that the fish schooled up around. I didn't have any roe, but man, slow slack water, I'm sure a big gob of roe under a float suspended right at the tree would have worked. There were like 20 jumpers at this one tree in a short period of time but the usual hardware being thrown didn't produce anything. Maybe next year...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Good Year for the Moke!!!

Its all about the water. Use Google maps and you can trace the irrigation drains that feed those sloughs all the way to the source of the water (i.e., the diversion in Lake Lodi on the Moke). Also the net penning at the San Joaquin does not allow imprinting all the way down the river for them to refine their homing. Its almost a waste since those fish will die before spawning but there is not enough spawning habitat on the Moke and the hatchery gets enough fish. My advice is to go slay them in the sloughs.

4. Likes AndyN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
    Agreed! Anyone know why there seems to be substantially more fish up in Beaver Slough vs. Sycamore? Hog slough seems to be completely devoid of salmon. I’ve asked several “regulars” and no one seems too confident in their theories.
    The flood tide runs into Beaver the strongest from what I've seen. All of them are shallow, but Beaver with it's numerous wide open flats, might have more velocity on the flood, so the fish follow it back the most.

6. Likes AndyN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed! Anyone know why there seems to be substantially more fish up in Beaver Slough vs. Sycamore? Hog slough seems to be completely devoid of salmon. I’ve asked several “regulars” and no one seems too confident in their theories.

Post Thanks / Like

Due to water flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Still think that's where the AR fish are at...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

10. Likes Legalbeagle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Year for the Moke!!!

Just left the hatchery, all the holding pens are full and the ladder is stacked up like I’ve never seen before! All large class fish too! Just goes to show what water can do for our fisheries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Woodie, Tifoso, dsa2780, jjb, kawaiii3oi liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12