Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh/Salt water line

Jellyfish have been spotted east of the Antioch Bridge and at the SI ramp. Hence, rinse the boat and trailer thoroughly.

2. Likes Just George liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its crazy how far up you will still catch starry flounder. I guess in my mind that kind of the line. Last year it was Sherman Island for me.

TJ

4. Likes Katch, Just George liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The boundary between fresh and salt water is generally considered to be approximately the Carquinez Straits. There is no defining line. The water there is considered saltwater and The salinity gradually lessens the further up the delta you go. This all varies from year to year depending on the flow volumes of the rivers that feed into the delta. The salinity of the delta however is gradually increasing as salinity intrudes further and further year after year and has been doing so for over a hundred years due to many reasons. Some reasons include mans activities such as building dams, building and changing waterways, weather, climate and many more.

But in answer to your question the Carquinez straits is as close as you can consider a boundary line. An excellent historical and scientific article I read a few years ago on the subject is below. It’s lengthy but quite interesting and very understandable. Here is a quote from the article that says what I’m trying to say much better than I can -

Salinity intrusion during the last 100 years has been among the highest levels over the past 2,500 years. The Delta has been predominantly a freshwater tidal marsh for the last 2,500 years.
    Human activities during the last 150 years, including channelization of the Delta, elimination of tidal marsh, construction of deep ship channels, and diversion of water, have resulted in the increased salinity levels in the Delta.
    https://cawaterlibrary.net/wp-conten...b_ccwd2010.pdf
    Last edited by Waterdog; 11-09-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just George View Post
    Are there marked or known lines or other defining areas and/or features where fresh water hits saltwater in the delta?

Thanks. Just George
    I’ve always kind of assumed that it is the Carquinez Bridge.

7. Likes Dreamer, Just George liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fresh/Salt water line

Are there marked or known lines or other defining areas and/or features where fresh water hits saltwater in the delta?

Thanks. Just George