Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: waterproof socks

I'll also add most of the waders on the market are made overseas unlike the old days including the lower end Simms.

So keep your toenails trimmed, wear thick socks if possible to cushion and lessen the stress on the wader's booties. Don't buy wader boots that fit too tight either.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the Frogg Togg waders have good reviews including their low end models.

I think the how the boot fits and the wading terrain determines the life of the bootie section.

When I used to waterfowl hunt in the lower grasslands my waders lasted a long time. Mostly wading in soft mud and jumpshooting along wooded creeks.

Since I started wading for trout and pulling the yak upriver thru rapids I found its alot harder on both wading boots and waders. The rivers where I fish have large cobblestones, and in some rivers I'm using a trekking pole to keep my balance while trying to maintain balance while traveling to the fishing waters. This type of wading is hard and strenuous both on myself and my waders. But it's paid off, I catch some nice trout!

In short I feel waders are a necessary evil. I might just buy a second pair of hip boots just for the rough stuff.

Buy what you can afford, wait for a sale if possible and then pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    Got me a new pair Of Frogg Togg waders in the hell bender Large size
    after these Im looking at a Cabelas brand . I got these for 65.00 which a Normal price of 100.00. It was a Clearance from frog toggs Older Style , My last pair that I had from this past season gave me 3 years and are the same hell bender from Frogg togg . Just like to have the socks Just in case I start leaking during Steel head season i`ll Fix them and Patch them but when your fishing and it starts to leak . No one has time to fix them Until you get Home
    I want to buy time and water proof socks JUST IN CASE IT HAPPEN WHILE I FISH . I Don`t need Cold Feet In January or February when its Very Cold In the water and On top of it
    Thanks for the feedback . Sometime you need to Cover your ass!!!

PS...if you have a pair of waders from Cabelas and they are 10 years Old
    How Often are you fishing?? I fish close to 60 times a year . and Trust me I put them through the ringer
    Trout fishing In the Mountains ,Steelhead Fishing On the American and the Lower Moke river, I`m Hiking , Sliding down Rocks and Climbing over logs and I`m wading all over the river . walking into Brushes and branches and Falling all over the place to and I can`t even get 4 years from My waders without spending 10.00 -20.00 ON Aquaseal .and I have had 2 pairs already In 6.5 years
    I have a 10 year old pair of cabelas and I've worn the crap out of them. Your issue is you're buying frog toggs. All of their stuff is cheap and garbage. Their waterproof bibs all leak as do their jackets.

You talk about not being able to afford good gear but you want to buy socks that run close to 100 buck?

You can find hodgman and cabelas waders on sale all the time. Shoot I found a pair of hodgman breathable waders for 100 bucks 4 years on their own site.

Buy nice or buy twice. In your case you've just spent what 150 bucks after tax in three years on crappy waders. Now you want high end socks that'll bring hot cost close to 200 bucks total.

SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the tennis show route and after a while ankle support sucked and slipping was not an issue i wanted. Putting studs In tennis shoes???Really . if anything from Stockton is Ghetto .someone having a pair of tennis shoes with studs in them for wading is it.....next ,Up Converse or Nike?????

Im good for now . Am looking at boot foot as well that's An Option If next time does come around.. But I`m content with what I have .
    I`m hoping waders won`t be an issue for at least 3 years .
    Wood screws! from the inside out, OLD SCHOOL STUDS!!

5. Likes SteelHunter, CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    $10.00-20.00!!! Tube of silicon cost $2.95! All kidding aside, I'm patching after two years. And I buy new ones every 4-5 yrs. I always buy stocking foot,($75-100), because tennis shoes are cheap and you can change the tread by changing shoes. And for $2 you put in hot pads, (get the sole shaped ones), for in icy waters. Since I've gotten soft, I even use them at pyramid, while wading.
    Did the tennis show route and after a while ankle support sucked and slipping was not an issue i wanted. Putting studs In tennis shoes???Really . if anything from Stockton is Ghetto .someone having a pair of tennis shoes with studs in them for wading is it.....next ,Up Converse or Nike?????

Im good for now . Am looking at boot foot as well that's An Option If next time does come around.. But I`m content with what I have .
    I`m hoping waders won`t be an issue for at least 3 years .

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

after these Im looking at a Cabelas brand . I got these for 65.00 which a Normal price of 100.00. It was a Clearance from frog toggs Older Style , My last pair that I had from this past season gave me 3 years and are the same hell bender from Frogg togg . Just like to have the socks Just in case I start leaking during Steel head season i`ll Fix them and Patch them but when your fishing and it starts to leak . No one has time to fix them Until you get Home
    I want to buy time and water proof socks JUST IN CASE IT HAPPEN WHILE I FISH . I Don`t need Cold Feet In January or February when its Very Cold In the water and On top of it

How Often are you fishing?? I fish close to 60 times a year . and Trust me I put them through the ringer
    Trout fishing In the Mountains ,Steelhead Fishing On the American and the Lower Moke river, I`m Hiking , Sliding down Rocks and Climbing over logs and I`m wading all over the river . walking into Brushes and branches and Falling all over the place to and I can`t even get 4 years from My waders without spending 10.00 -20.00 ON Aquaseal .and I have had 2 pairs already In 6.5 years
    $10.00-20.00!!! Tube of silicon cost $2.95! All kidding aside, I'm patching after two years. And I buy new ones every 4-5 yrs. I always buy stocking foot,($75-100), because tennis shoes are cheap and you can change the tread by changing shoes. And for $2 you put in hot pads, (get the sole shaped ones), for in icy waters. Since I've gotten soft, I even use them at pyramid, while wading.

8. Likes BigUnInDaBoat, MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Cabala waders have got a lot of rough use during duck hunting season. My Orvis waders are actually 20 years old. I use them for stream fishing/fly fishing. Haven’t used them in 5 years but previously used them a lot. In the warm summer months I don’t use waders. I just wear shorts and felt bottomed wading boots. Not using waders in the summer has really helped to preserve them.
    Do you actually wear your waders 60 times a year or do you fish 60 times a year and wear your waders for some of that? I’m retired and have too much going on to fish anywhere near 60 times a year.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap n easy fix for leaking booties... spray the entire outside of the bootie with a thin layer of FlexShot. Makes it a little harder to get your boots on but it will extend the life of a leaking pair before they can be replaced.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by stefanoflo; 11-28-2018 at 11:27 PM.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Leaky waders are useless. You either patch/repair them or replace them. You dont have to pay anywhere close to $400 to $600 for a pair. Depending on if you want stocking foot or boot foot, neoprene or breathable you can find them for $125 to around $200. I have 2 pair of Cabala waders one neoprene and one breathable. I use them duck hunting and no leaks after 10 years. I have a pair of Orvis breathable for fishing over 10 years no leaks.
    If your waders are leaking Sealskinz booties/socks are not the solution. You are wasting your money trying to use sealskinz booties because your waders leak. Shop around the net you’ll find reasonably priced waders.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

13. Likes TBSP, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast