Post Thanks / Like

Re: smoked canned trout

Quote Originally Posted by tommylee View Post
    Thank you Jetspray for the info, I did some investigating and you are right it says not to use electric pressure cooker over 2000 ft and I am approx 3500 ft in Pioneer. I am looking into getting a canning pressure cooker with a gauge on it to do my canning. I found a couple 16qt canners that I am looking at. I have quite a bit of trout I need to can and I plan on catching more. Also I will be using 1 pint jars and will label them with dates as you suggested. Planning on trip to Comanche soon to catch some more!
    Ace Hardware has some canning stuff, but the larger canning vessels are usually found in places like Big R ranch supply house, Tractor Supply, or most ranch supply places. If you can pick up extra seals for that vessel you buy. We have about 6 canning types around the house along with the electric one's. Still love the stuff.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    I would suggest getting a good canning book there are many out there. Reason being the electric pressure cookers may not reach the temp/pressure you need to can meats with. Sterilization is the number one culprit for any contamination. Also date the tops of the cans and name what is in it if you use cans and not glass ball jars. I cannot use any electrics here because on my altitude 4,850 ft. I use a larger canning pressure cooker and have to extend the time at pressure due to that. Have fun anyway......Jetspray
    Thank you Jetspray for the info, I did some investigating and you are right it says not to use electric pressure cooker over 2000 ft and I am approx 3500 ft in Pioneer. I am looking into getting a canning pressure cooker with a gauge on it to do my canning. I found a couple 16qt canners that I am looking at. I have quite a bit of trout I need to can and I plan on catching more. Also I will be using 1 pint jars and will label them with dates as you suggested. Planning on trip to Comanche soon to catch some more!

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest getting a good canning book there are many out there. Reason being the electric pressure cookers may not reach the temp/pressure you need to can meats with. Sterilization is the number one culprit for any contamination. Also date the tops of the cans and name what is in it if you use cans and not glass ball jars. I cannot use any electrics here because on my altitude 4,850 ft. I use a larger canning pressure cooker and have to extend the time at pressure due to that. Have fun anyway......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

if you are not finding good searches using "canning trout" try "canning kokanee" I know there are tons of articles on that and they are close enough that you could use the same techniques.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=twack;1159803]I've been wanting to do this myself. You go first and let me know what's best. :-)

By the way, I was going to use a 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain to smoke on. What are you going to use?[/QUOT

I will be using a 30 inch master built propane smoker and an xl pressure cooker and canning in pint jars, I will try a few recipes and post which ones I think are best

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been wanting to do this myself. You go first and let me know what's best. :-)

By the way, I was going to use a 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain to smoke on. What are you going to use?

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

smoked canned trout

I am going to lightly smoke and can some trout in xl pressure cooker for first time. I have seen many recipes online, some say dry brine some say wet brine some say no brine, some also say smoke for 1 hour until about half done, some say smoke until done before canning, also some say add tbls oil some not,also add spices ect or not. Going to try a couple recipes to see what turns out best, I would like anyone who has their own recipes and tips to let me know what you think is the best way to do it. Thanks in advance if anyone out there will help me and give me some tips.

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post