Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kokanee Set up...need advice

Daiwa spinmatic d trolling rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Lexa LC100 paired with a Tica Super Ultra Light rod
    KLEA76SUL2. Crazy fun catching these size fish on this rod and the reel is simple and bullet proof. Have two of these setups and will probably have three by the Spring

Post Thanks / Like

The lexa lc100 and Abu Garcia 4600 or 5600 are both great reels for your intended purpose. Any low profile or round casting reel will work (some even like using spinning reels instead). It just gets down to your personal preference on what options you want and/or how the reel feels in your hands.

If you are downrigging (assuming this since it was not stated), the rods already mentioned will work fine. Really any designed koke/trout trolling rod or a 7' rod that has a ultralight to medium-light power will work. Again gets down to personal preference and $$.

Besides trolling, you might look into jigging for kokes up there. It will require a different rod and line setup but can be very productive and fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cybersnow View Post
    Headed up to central Idaho in April through November and have hear that there are many lakes with great Kokanee fishing. Going to start gearing this winter. Trying to decide on rods and reels (planning on buying four). Right now looking at AbunGarcia 5500lc-c or Daiwa Lexi lc100c (or 300) for reels and Vance 7.5 spiral wrap or Lamaglas CGR762L for rods. Any advice is appreciated.
    The CGR762L rods are great rods, also known as "Red" rods.
    I have 4 red rods with Shimano Calcutta reels.
    My son bought 2 Velocity "Ninja" rods with Velocity level wind reels.
    The ninja rod is slightly stiffer than the red rod.
    The ninja is quite a nice set up as well.

Quite a few people are starting to use the Okuma cold water low profile (bass style) line counter reels.

Post Thanks / Like

I paired 4 st Croix wild river Kokanee rods with abu Garcia 5600 c4’s. Really like this combination.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t go wrong with the Lexa 100 line counters, I really like my Lamiglas CGR 802 L.
    Check out Paulina Peak Tackle https://paulinapeaktackle.com for excellent dodgers and lures, they also have a very nice Kokanee rod as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Go to You Tube and search for "new years day trolling for trout and kokanee" by Idaho fisherman 16. Good info.

Post Thanks / Like

I am wintering in the Hermosa Beach ( LA area
    ) and all the tackle shops around me carry either salt water or bass gear so I am pretty much stuck shopping on line and it is so hard to guess size etc. Thanks for the advice on the lexav300, dont need a winch. I am a little confused on the Vance rod though. According to the write ups, the 7 footer seems to be stiffer. Not so?
    There is a 7’ and a 7’6” trout flavor. There is also a 7’ Striper version. The trout ones have cork grips, the Striper has EVA. Both of the trout rods are too stiff for kokes in my opinion, but the lighter one is doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I am wintering in the Hermosa Beach ( LA area
    ) and all the tackle shops around me carry either salt water or bass gear so I am pretty much stuck shopping on line and it is so hard to guess size etc. Thanks for the advice on the lexav300, dont need a winch. I am a little confused on the Vance rod though. According to the write ups, the 7 footer seems to be stiffer. Not so?

Post Thanks / Like

Headed up to central Idaho in April through November and have hear that there are many lakes with great Kokanee fishing. Going to start gearing this winter. Trying to decide on rods and reels (planning on buying four). Right now looking at AbunGarcia 5500lc-c or Daiwa Lexi lc100c (or 300) for reels and Vance 7.5 spiral wrap or Lamaglas CGR762L for rods. Any advice is appreciated.
    Well dont buy the lexa 300. That would be completely overkill for kokanee. I use my 300 for smaller tuna and for chucking swimbaits.

I own both the 5500 and LC100. It just depends on what is more comfortable for you. I like the low profile of the lexa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast