Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coyotes and calves

Excellent response LineStretcher. When I use to teach hunter safety I use to tell the classes almost the same thing. Some got it, others Im not so sure.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

2. Likes LineStretcher, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emilie Turner View Post
    Why kill, why not to scare away?
    Coyote's are predators and they multiply rapidly if their populations go unchecked. Because of that, when their normal food supplies of rabbits and rodents run out they began to seek out new sources. The rabbits and rodents are also important to our environment so when they kill all of those our environment suffers.

Once their normal food source is depleted they began to hunt in packs and start taking baby deer and even older deer. That depletes the deer population. If there are no deer around they will take important human food sources such as calves, sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, and even pets.

Controlling their population to numbers that are consistent with the naturally available food sources is known as Conservation. Hunters are very in tune with nature and most are intimately knowledgeable about the need for conservation. We don't just hunt to kill animals, we hunt to maintain an ecological balance.
    Last edited by LineStretcher; 12-04-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Why kill, why not to scare away?

5. Dislikes BigUnInDaBoat, zipperman disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they'll take a calf that's halfway out! Kill those *******s.

7. Likes CDK, wckid, MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coyotes and calves

Saturday morning I was sitting at the kitchen table looking off to the east over pasture populated with calving cows when I noticed a 'yote darting around a black momma cow and her new born. There was a 30 power scope set up to watch cranes and when I got the cow in the field there was no doubt the 'yote was going after the calf. Momma was doing a pretty good job of keeping it at bay and the calf was doing its part by holding close to her hip. I thought about getting my .22-250 out of the safe but I've always held the opinion calves were in little danger from coyotes. Soon there were four coyotes in the area and my wife was looking through the scope while urging me to make haste with the safe and calling the owner of the cows. The three new 'yotes did not join the attack on the calf right away but appeared to be fighting over scrapes of after birth. My wife pulled a chair up to the porch rail and I had a tolerable rest for the 275-300 yard shot. The sound of the bullet's impact indicated a gut shot, but it was rapidly lethal regardless. Any opinion on the danger coyotes pose to calves?
    Last edited by borntoscout; 12-03-2018 at 12:21 PM.

9. Likes wckid, BigUnInDaBoat, CDK, MKE, burninfuel liked this post