Post Thanks / Like

Scent on Lures

Is scent better than no scent?

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scent on Lures

Quote Originally Posted by westmore View Post
    Is scent better than no scent?
    It makes sense to use scents since it only costs a few cents. Haha!

Seriously, I have trolled two of the same lures at closely the same depths and caught more fish on the scented lure.

P.S. Plus it will keep you from scratching your nose.

4. Likes redneckpunk, okie, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have gotten to the point where I always use scent on my lures. I can't prove it, but I think I do a little better using scent than not using it. People who use scents have their favorites; mine is anise...and I like the product called Trout Feast made by Smelly Jelly.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scented lure will almost have a better catch ratio but not always .
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

8. Likes redneckpunk, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well hell,, if I`m reading that some think it works and Others don`t ,then maybe go fish for catfish on a Lure . you will have a batter chance at getting cats to bite at stink than a trout will unless its sugar bases scent and they love sugar . recall the Old Corn thing on a hook and Velveeta cheese , both had a touch of sweetness in it so maybe Scent does work . didi we forget on how Garlic catches fish especially Trout and we all know about having garlic breath after eating it.
    its not just for Vampires ya Know!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Difference with catfish is that their whole bodies are covered with smell receptors, kind of an unfair choice. Most of them mash their food with strong jaws too......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Try having a Lure . make it own scent without putting it on
    Good Luck and yes It Helps .can`t hurt . Granted most trout eat out of sight than smell but It can`t hurt
    Make sure it is water based, after a while it will stick and then its not the smell you want or what The fish even want to come close too.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do whatever gives you confidence. If you are confident, you will pay more attention, and you will fish longer. Thus, you are more likely to succeed.

But does scenting a lure actually increase the number of strikes, all else being equal? Who knows? No one has any hard evidence, just the superstitious, anecdotal type of "proof" that fishermen live and die by, mixed in with a lot of sketchy marketing claims by assorted retailers.

I will say this: I seriously doubt that scenting a lure does any harm....other than the cost of what you spent on the scent product.

15. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Owlman2 View Post
    Do whatever gives you confidence. If you are confident, you will pay more attention, and you will fish longer. Thus, you are more likely to succeed.

But does scenting a lure actually increase the number of strikes, all else being equal? Who knows? No one has any hard evidence, just the superstitious, anecdotal type of "proof" that fishermen live and die by, mixed in with a lot of sketchy marketing claims by assorted retailers.

I will say this: I seriously doubt that scenting a lure does any harm....other than the cost of what you spent on the scent product.
    Excellent summation. Couldn't agree more.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Owlman said, if you believe adding scent works, you're right. If you believe adding scent doesn't work, you're right.

I'll add a different perspective than what's been said. For me, I am more concerned about possibly putting an offensive scent on my lures than masking it with a liquid, gel or wax. Gasoline, oil, grease, sunscreen, tobacco, etc, are scents that I believe can turn fish off if on a lure. That's why I always try and make sure my hands are clean before touching my lures. Yes, I have tried scents and found no difference in success. All it did was leave my lures and boat greasy, prompting a wash with Dawn soap.

Also, since a lure creates a reaction response by fish, I believe a fishes vision and lateral line (vibration) play a bigger role in provoking that response to the lure than scent.

18. Likes Spinner liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast