Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For GPS/Charts/Sonar, which is better? iPad vs Console Mounted Fishfinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Manley View Post
    that's great news bud....unfortunately there's more than just the navionics issue....I've had to update OS a couple times when I got that transducer not compatible error message and now unit took a dump....
    WTH, man that machine has been pretty good, sorry to hear that. If it's toast, don't buy anything till we talk , Ill text you,,,gregg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brokea--boater View Post
    Garman is coming out with new maps on their Echomap series machines in a month or so. Looks like G3+Navi maps combined. Also there will be a update to existing users for the maps. Good news to Garman owners,,,gregg

that's great news bud....unfortunately there's more than just the navionics issue....I've had to update OS a couple times when I got that transducer not compatible error message and now unit took a dump....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HNR View Post
    I just picked up one also. Have not hooked it up yet. If you have tried it out, let us know how it worked.

Just got it installed on the boat. I only hooked up the Panoptix LiveScope to it. Can’t wait to get on the water to try it. Will let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Garman is coming out with new maps on their Echomap series machines in a month or so. Looks like G3+Navi maps combined. Also there will be a update to existing users for the maps. Good news to Garman owners,,,gregg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Discodigger View Post
    I would check out the Garmin 93sv plus at bass Pro. It has a 9" touch display, side imaging, down imaging, pre-loaded maps, chirp, and a lot more. It was 999.00 but they have it on sale for 599.00. I picked one up. Because I want to get the panoptix livescope.

although garmin bought navionics the software is still not available for use on these units. garmins mapping does not come close to detail on navionics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Discodigger View Post
    I would check out the Garmin 93sv plus at bass Pro. It has a 9" touch display, side imaging, down imaging, pre-loaded maps, chirp, and a lot more. It was 999.00 but they have it on sale for 599.00. I picked one up. Because I want to get the panoptix livescope.
    I just picked up one also. Have not hooked it up yet. If you have tried it out, let us know how it worked.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Which is better for gps and sonar? A hard wired dedicated unit. I've yet to see a quality wifi-transducer system that uses a tablet/iPad as the only viewer. Plus, the gps capabilities of the dedicated unit are much better (signal strength, more accurate location) than a smartphone or tablet, especially if you fish somewhere without cell reception.

Many sonar units have wifi and allow a smartphone or tablet to duplicate its screen and control the main unit. Does it look better on a tablet? Nope. Looks exactly the same because the info is being mirrored from the sonar unit. Only difference is that there is a small lag in info being received. Not too big of a deal if trolling but the lag is noticeable when vertical jigging.

I get wanting to use a tablet/smartphone as a viewer: you already have it and it's a big screen. But until the sonar companies start making specific systems to be viewed by a outside viewer (smartphone, tablet, tv) that's high quality and competitive in price to comparable all in one units, you might be better off spending a little more money than planned and buy a very good 7-9" sonar.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For GPS/Charts/Sonar, which is better - iPad vs Console Mounted Fishfinder?

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    In the 400-700 range your right, you phone is probably better but you're phone doesn't have a transducer so no sonar. Many of us have the Navionics app on our phones and tablets. I think there's still a basic free version. You should download it and try it out.
    There are plenty of versions of the hummingbird Helix that in that price range and all have chirp and side imaging.

All of which are better than a phone. As is the lowrance hook series.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For GPS/Charts/Sonar, which is better - iPad vs Console Mounted Fishfinder?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNative View Post
    Cool I'll check it out. I'm also talking about Raymarine's Wifish which would give the phone the transducer and sonar.
    I have a RayMarine Axiom with WiFi and use it with my phone. It works but I'm usually not paying attention to it, If I have time to watch the fish finder then I do that at the helm or just look at it from the Stern. One of the benefits of having a 12" display.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast