Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Total ROOKIE - taking a swing at surf perch

I've found that almost anywhere waves are breaking, from Pismo Beach to Southern Oregon, your sure to find surf perch hanging out. I always keep a pole and sandworms in the car when I'm traveling up and down the coast. Nothing like pulling off for 20 minutes and popping a couple perch to break up the drive. Good job on trying something new.

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice congrats. One doesnt have to cast too far for perch unless the waves are long. Watch out for the waves. Try fishing calmer areas

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Going to give this a first time try this weekend. Planning to start north of HMB, most likely Gray Whale Beach. Any other spots between HMB and Pacifica I should try? Might do a little poke polling too.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    Good job on catching on your first trip out. Wright's Beach is a scary beach to fish on, though I've only camped and walked the surf there. As others said, keep walking, casting and retrieving. Even though the tides do affect the fish, I've caught them at all tides and at all times of the year.

I use to use the Carolina rig, but I found that I had more success with a Hi-Lo rig. But, you can try all sorts of rigs and tackle/bait and see what works for you. I hear blood worms will catch them, but they tend to swallow them, and thus possibly killing them when the hook is removed. I've had success on the Gulp Sand Worms, as well. They seem to be the goto on Youtube.

The first time I went out for surf perch, I hit up Muir Beach in Marin County and first cast with a Gulp Sand Worm, caught my first and only keeper salt water striper. Since then, I've only caught surf perch.
    Thanks for the input.

Yea, Wright’s takes a beating.

Ive been hitting Doran. Nice place!

Post Thanks / Like

Good job on catching on your first trip out. Wright's Beach is a scary beach to fish on, though I've only camped and walked the surf there. As others said, keep walking, casting and retrieving. Even though the tides do affect the fish, I've caught them at all tides and at all times of the year.

I use to use the Carolina rig, but I found that I had more success with a Hi-Lo rig. But, you can try all sorts of rigs and tackle/bait and see what works for you. I hear blood worms will catch them, but they tend to swallow them, and thus possibly killing them when the hook is removed. I've had success on the Gulp Sand Worms, as well. They seem to be the goto on Youtube.

The first time I went out for surf perch, I hit up Muir Beach in Marin County and first cast with a Gulp Sand Worm, caught my first and only keeper salt water striper. Since then, I've only caught surf perch.

Post Thanks / Like

Learning to read water and keep moving is the best way to catch more and bigger surfperch

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone!! yes..watching the power of the water was the MOST humbling thing. i've swam in oceans before..but never seen swells like this. even ankle deep, the pull of the receding water is shocking. i never turn my back on the ocean..unless i am way way up the beach..like by the picnic benches. :) i'm gonna try to catch the approaching high tide friday, after i get done with some meeting business. i'm bringing my gear to work. should be nice and overcast. maybe even some rain sprinkles.

Post Thanks / Like

I took up surf Perch the beginning of this year. I’m in San Jose, fish Monterey Bay Area. Enjoy it very much. I do have a boat in Oakley. I find surf fishing enjoyable and easier than getting out on the boat for a morning of fishing. There are a ton of how to videos on YouTube. “Surf Fishing Northern California “. Look up “The Perch Whisperer”. When you hook something other than a Perch, life gets exciting. Spring is Striper time.

As stated, never turn your back to the surf. Always have an eye on it!

Post Thanks / Like

Also—there's lots of good video's on You Tube showing surf fishing all along Pacific Coast. There's more than just surf perch that you'll be catching. Some video's show you all you'll need in the way of equipment, set-ups and different baits and plugs to use. Good luck—and be cautious.

Post Thanks / Like

When i lived up in eureka i went red tail fishing nearly every day. Next to salmon/steelhead fishing its by far one of my favorite things to fish for. It is a year round fishery for sure, in the winter it can get a little tougher mostly due to the weather and the surf but worth it on light tackle.

If you havent already, watch JD Richey's surf perch video. I dont use the same tackle methods as him but he has very good info on how to read the beach and the surf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast