Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Me Price My Boat

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    ...I think being honest about what you are selling is always the best policy for every party involved.
    Spot on!
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Plus one on taking a picture at the ramp...better yet a picture of the boat in the water .

...but I never sold a boat where the buyer offered to pay more than my asking price . Just funnin with you
    Funny story on that sale, the guy was new to boating, and he found me to be trustworthy because of my honesty about the good and bad of the boat. He paid me extra to take it to the launch on the day of the sale, and to teach him how to safely trailer it, launch it, land it and operate it. He ended up not being able to make it to the launch that day, but later that week I took it to his house which was nearby and he still paid me the extra money. I think being honest about what you are selling is always the best policy for every party involved.

3. Likes zipperman, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    It would also be worth it to trailer up the boat on a sunny morning, and drive it to the launch and take really nice pictures for your ad. ...

...My old boat was an old fiberglass resto, and I sold it for more than i was asking for in under a week.
    Plus one on taking a picture at the ramp...better yet a picture of the boat in the water .

...but I never sold a boat where the buyer offered to pay more than my asking price . Just funnin with you

5. Likes Waterdog, LONO100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff, thanks LONO
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I've sold one boat and many cars (and countless bikes) that I have flipped through the years and the best advice I can give is that your boat is worth what it can get. If there are lots of good boats on the market that stack up to yours, you will need to be more flexible with the price, if it's slim pickings out there, you have the leverage. Do some homework and research comparables on craigslist and other sites. This is the best way to gauge what your boat can fetch. Also, the timing of your sale will dictate what you can ask for, and with all of the rain we have had, and now spring starting to show itself, the timing is to your advantage!

Also, be as descriptive and honest about everything on the boat, and clean clean clean it and get it to its fighting shape when taking pictures for your sale ads. Buyers will always be drawn to clean looking rigs over dirty ones. it's the same thing as curb apeal.

Also, in the ad, mention that you are willing to take serious buyers on the water to test it out provided they pay the launch fee. This is a great way to signal to buyers that the boat is running well and that you aren't trying to dump a huge problem onto someone else.

It would also be worth it to trailer up the boat on a sunny morning, and drive it to the launch and take really nice pictures for your ad. This goes a long way, I have sold a few cars in my day, and pictures of your rig in some dingy dark garage don't draw buyers in like nice images of it soaking up the sun. Sounds corny, but making this type of effort will get you what you are asking for. My old boat was an old fiberglass resto, and I sold it for more than i was asking for in under a week, just made the effort with these tips.

Remember to check comparables, sellers need to be looking at the for sale sites as much as buyers do to get an idea of what the market is like, this goes with anything. Goodluck on your sale!

8. Likes Waterdog, GW208, Jetspray, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Aren't we your friends?
    Of course you all are, that goes without saying.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    ... Im going to tell my friend what Im going to ask for it ...
    Aren't we your friends?

12. Likes Paintguy, Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate it. I hope to sell it to a good friend who told me he wants to buy it. I know he has the money, but its not sold until its sold. I plan a couple fishing trips first. Want to go for striper in the delta, trout at Camanche and maybe a couple days at Shasta. Now Im going to tell my friend what Im going to ask for it and get an answer yes or no if he wants to buy it (from his interest and what hes said Im sure he will). If not Ill offer it here and other places like CL etc. Again thanks for all your advice.

14. Likes Paintguy, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful when selling your boat on CL.. I got a lot of calls from Dealers trying to buy mine. What you should do is go to NADA and find out the high and low value of your boat and then look at the wholesale price. Dealers will offer you something close to wholesale and then try to grind you down to wholesale or less. That's how I figured out they were dealers. It's not a bad thing to sell it to a dealer, just don't expect more than wholesale price.

The person that I sold my boat to also tried to grind me. He ended up being the looser because I took everything out of the boat that I was going to give away with it. My advice is to not list it with anything extra like life jackets, ropes, first aid kit, coast guard required items, etc. If you get the price you want and want to leave the extra's with boat at the time of the sale then that's when you should do it. Otherwise, keep the items and sell or give them to your buddies. I'll have a bunch of stuff at the Pyramid fest for my friends.
    Last edited by LineStretcher; 03-13-2019 at 05:27 PM.

16. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Help Me Price My Boat

Quote Originally Posted by SacPerformance View Post
    15-17 all day long this time of year.
    Atta Boy Tim, tell him some happy news. It is so hard to sell stuff sometimes, Good Luck WD.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

18. Likes Paintguy, Waterdog liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast