Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help for a newbie

I haven't lived in the bay area for 12 years, but I remember there being lakes all over the place that stock trout, winter is a good time for trout fishing from shore. I've caught alot of fish at Delle Valle, you might try there.

Post Thanks / Like

As to the question about fishing this time of year; Striped bass fishing (particularly with live and cut bait) can actually be very good during the cold weather months. As the weather gets warmer, the areas mentioned above can also offer lots of fun fishing for bluegill, crappie, and bass on light tackle. Don't let Mr. Skunk get you down. No one catches fish unless they go out and put a line in the water. We all get skunked. That is the nature of the game. But if you are training kids to love fishing you are giving them a gift for life AND you are training future guardians of our waterways and environment. It is worth all of the effort. Thank you for working with your kids and thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Rio Vista also has a public fishing pier.

Post Thanks / Like

You can try Sandy Beach in Rio Vista. It’s a county campground park and boat launch. There is a decent beach area to fish from. I have fished there mainly shaker stripers. Maybe bigger fish mixed in

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a noob too. But I camp at brannan island a bit. If you go past the boat ramp and go to the lil fishing pier. I've caught a mess of bluegill and a small large mouth. 8.00 for day use, or get a camp spot and fish all night. I've been trying to get out on the delta out by the bridges on hwy 4 towards Stockton. Maybe this weekend.

6. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hook Help for a newbie

I've recently gotten into fishing because it's something my kids and I enjoy doing together. We've hit up the Antioch and Rio Vista fishing piers and caught some small stripers, but when we went last week we were skunked. Since we don't have a boat, is there another spot in that general area we can try, or is it just not worth it at this time of year? Any specific details would be appreciated.