Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6wt fly reel suggestions

You can't go wrong with the Piscifun Sword. I've been using one all summer and it seems right on par with some of my 200 dollar reels. And it's only 49.85.

Post Thanks / Like

One can pickup a decent fly reel with sealed drag for $150:

https://www.allenflyfishing.com/trou...ly-reel-series

No need to spend $500 on a fly reel. I bought a Galvan Rush fly reel year and half ago for about $200.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Likes waynemaxwell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A click and pawl reel could have brought the fish in as well, just have to fight it differently. I get your point, and fishing is always better with a $1000 rod and a $500 reel but its not necessary. I would rather have a well designed rod with a slower action than a state of the art reel, the extra flex in the rod will do more for tippet protection than any reel you can find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexWalker View Post
    If you're going for trout, a strong drag isn't needed nor is a sealed drag. They are both ideal, but not necessary which is good. Makes for more options.

I love my Orvis clearwater reel. But you can probably get anything from the Cabelas line that fits your budget and will be just fine.
    You're right to a point.

But a good sealed drag can make or break success when you haul in a big bow like this 23"er my buddy caught yesterday or when that big trout of a lifetime comes your way.

Big trout and light lines/tippets do require a good drag even more so on a river setting. ymmv.

Last edited by MtnFisher; 01-22-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going for trout, a strong drag isn't needed nor is a sealed drag. They are both ideal, but not necessary which is good. Makes for more options.

I love my Orvis clearwater reel. But you can probably get anything from the Cabelas line that fits your budget and will be just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    I would go for a sealed drag if possible, fly reels tend to get dunked.

A bit pricier but well ranked are Galvan reels made here in CA.

Check this out:

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...ss-colorado-lt

Had a client of mine recently gift me a REALLY nice South Bend split bamboo rod paired with a Galvan Rush Light reel that matches the rod nicely..the reel is very light and has extremely smooth drag with a nice sound and feel when pulled..I can vouch for quality of craftsmanship first hand..I'm a Tuolumne county resident myself and can appreciate the fact that the reels are locally made..the guy that gave it to me said he'd never used the setup and was getting too old to get into it and if I'd use it and do it justice then it was mine!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexWalker View Post
    What are you fishing for? Saltwater/freshwater? What type of line are you looking to put on it? Is having a spare spool important to you?

Knowing what kind of drag you need will determine which route to go. Echo, Orvis, Ross, there are lots of great inexpensive reels out there but you need to match it to the line/species you're planning on using it with
    Ill most likely be targeting trout and I heard the best line to use for starters is wf f so I was going to use that. For now a spare spool isnt important to me. Right now Im eyeing the Redington behemoth and the Lamson liquid but I thought Id come on here and ask for suggestions from people whos already fly fished and see which reels you guys would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would go for a sealed drag if possible, fly reels tend to get dunked.

A bit pricier but well ranked are Galvan reels made here in CA.

Check this out:

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...ss-colorado-lt

Post Thanks / Like

What are you fishing for? Saltwater/freshwater? What type of line are you looking to put on it? Is having a spare spool important to you?

Knowing what kind of drag you need will determine which route to go. Echo, Orvis, Ross, there are lots of great inexpensive reels out there but you need to match it to the line/species you're planning on using it with

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAP View Post
    I recently bought a Redington vapen red thats a 9 6wt and was wonder which reel would be a good match with it . My budget for the reel is around $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reddington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast