Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Front Bow Cover for Towing

If I can ask, what did that cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Mud flaps only do so much. I have big ones custom made from semi-truck mudflaps and mounted to the back underneath the bumper. Rock chips still happen as much as you want to prevent them. The best thing is a tow bra for the front of your boat.

I have an Alumaweld. I had one custom made by the following company. I searched and talked with a bunch of shops, and none of them were comfortable making one nor had experience. However, Nate stepped up and did a phenomenal job. He was worth the drive and does exceptional work. I have attached a pic. It's old, but it will give you an idea.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nates-car-a...olstery-auburn

I have had the bra for 10 years now, and it's held up just fine with 10s of thousands of miles on it. It's even traveled to Wyoming and back a few times. Never any problems at all. It's tight to the sides of the boat without any flapping. It covers the sides and underneath the boat. It doesn't take that long to take off. With my dad and I, only about 2 minutes or so. By myself, maybe 3 to 4 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Likes Hookem2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have mud flaps.

Was doing a comparison on a boat bra vs the ones that mount on the trailer.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Bra, rock guard and bow protector are just some of the words for the product you seek. Some attach to the tow vehicle, some to the trailer and some snap onto the boat. Some are factory options, some can be built by an upholstery shop, while others can be bought online and installed by you, your kid or good friend.

In my opinion, if your boats hull is painted, get something to protect it. I have a factory snap on bow rock guard on my Lund and it has worked great the past two years. Bugs, rocks, sand, oil, grease, tree branches, mini ice chests on paved and dirt roads have been encountered and my bow still looks brand new. By myself, it takes maybe 3 minutes to put on/take off. With another (my wife), less than 2 minutes. Only negative, a little bit of the paint has rubbed off underneath on the keel where the bra ends.

Side note: if you are going to use a bow rock guard and a travel cover together, make sure they both fit and don't infringe on each other. You don't want any flapping going on.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing Apex. The friend I have who uses a bra , it seems like a big deal and a lot of time to take the thing off and put it back on at the end of a trip. I have mud flaps on my truck and I dont have any damage to my boat from road debris.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not put mudflaps on the truck? I would think that would be much cheaper and you wouldn't need to remove them when launching. Just a thought.

8. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a custom towing bra to fit your exact boat made at most canvas shops. I have one for my boat that I use on long road trips, during the winter months when there is a lot of road grime, and when I have to tow on gravel.

Otherwise take a look at Road Wings, which slip over your receiver and have flaps to stop rocks and road debris from kicking up on your boat. They are less expensive than tow bra.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....

Post Thanks / Like

They are called a BRA. They work well protecting the bow of the boat from road debris and other things. Ive personally only known one person who uses it and he is a guide and a friend of mine. Whether they are worth the $$$ I dont know. Maybe others can comment.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast