Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Salt Water Fishing near the Bay Area?

Yea you'd want to avoid the jetties in this storm at all cost, no fish or crab is worth your life.

2. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    Lot of places. But with the weather it is "pot luck" . I would try a place that is protected a bit. It is a big area.
    I am with CDK - the surf this time of year should always be a major consideration when shore fishing coastal waters. Check out the surf reports (literally the reports that the surfers use to find the best breaks) to determine the direction of the swell (North, South, West) then used the contours of the coast to find sheltered water as CDK said. Example: if there is a swell coming from the north, the southerly facing shore between Santa Cruz and Moss Landing will not see the highest surf. Conversely the coast from Moss Landing to the tip of the Monterrey peninsula will be getting the full size and strength of that north swell. Lastly "sneaker" waves are a fact of life 24/7/365 so I advise anyone setting out to do some surf fishing to wear a self inflating life vest at all times - regardless of the season. I have gotten several such vests at the Bass Pro Shop over the years for myself and folks that boat with me or join me for surf casting. They are so comfortable, you forget you have them on. But once you are in the water, the Co2 cartridge inflates the vest instantaneously, and you go from a being a statistic to being a survivor.

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of places. But with the weather it is "pot luck" . I would try a place that is protected a bit. It is a big area.
    You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

Best Salt Water Fishing near the Bay Area?

I want to go out this weekend and was wondering where the best salt water fishing is that you guys would recommend? I was thinking of maybe going off the Half Moon Bay jetty but I'm not sure if that is very good or if there are much better spots around. I was thinking Half Moon Bay, Pacifica, Santa Cruz, but I am open to anything. Thanks!