Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weekend wrap up

Post Thanks / Like

Re: weekend wrap up

Hi gyus! found a lot of useful information, glad to join your community
    Last edited by malkovich; 05-06-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
    The Heat is ON! Nice weekend total! The most I've ever caught in one day is two.

I was out Wed until Sat when the crowd showed up. Beautiful conditions doing similar fishing in Monte and Suisun. Got skunked with buddies on Thurs! That hurt! On Fri I was relieved to finally catch my first solo 2019 fish but it was only a 38. I threw the entire bait smorgasbord at 'em. Eel/nightcrawler got the best action, roe, thawed grass and ghost, clams and sturgeon candy.

Maybe I passed you coming home on Sat early afternoon. Ducked into Benicia for fuel and pumpout on my way home.
    Yo Al
    Sat afternoon I spent some time up near Pittsburgh, so probably not me. You are easier to spot, my north river blends in haha
    Unless you have really good roe Iíd suggest just sticking with the eel.
    Or shrimp in Spb, thereís a hot bite happening down there good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes FlyWright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skypig View Post
    So it sounds like even if you go where you think there are fish, you don't just park and cast. You try to verify there are some fish.

I do have the Navionics. Use it all the time. It really is useful for checking the terrain down there.

Are you basically camping out to fish day and night? Any preference of one over the other with regards to day or night?

If at night, I figure once you park for the night you are pretty much not planning on running to another spot.
    Yes, trust but always verify
    The one time I donít is on the river above sac. Then I just go to spots and rot
    Yes basically boat camping and fishing marathons. When you put in a lot of time eventually you get good spurts. Night or day doesnít matter, and Iíll move around all night if Iím not finding fish (unless Iím tired and need a nap, always like to bring a night owl with me for that reason- hook fish while I nap)

Post Thanks / Like

The Heat is ON! Nice weekend total! The most I've ever caught in one day is two.

I was out Wed until Sat when the crowd showed up. Beautiful conditions doing similar fishing in Monte and Suisun. Got skunked with buddies on Thurs! That hurt! On Fri I was relieved to finally catch my first solo 2019 fish but it was only a 38. I threw the entire bait smorgasbord at 'em. Eel/nightcrawler got the best action, roe, thawed grass and ghost, clams and sturgeon candy.

Maybe I passed you coming home on Sat early afternoon. Ducked into Benicia for fuel and pumpout on my way home.

Post Thanks / Like

So it sounds like even if you go where you think there are fish, you don't just park and cast. You try to verify there are some fish.

I do have the Navionics. Use it all the time. It really is useful for checking the terrain down there.

Are you basically camping out to fish day and night? Any preference of one over the other with regards to day or night?

If at night, I figure once you park for the night you are pretty much not planning on running to another spot.
    Taking off and flying is easy, it's the landings that will kill you.

Oh Yeah!...Salmon!...Everything else is just practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kromebrite View Post
    "landed around 25 sturgeon"

I would call that an outstanding 3.5 days!

Great report.
    Thanks, happy to provide more detail if anybody wants it. I think general location is probably the best because by the time anyone gets there tomorrow they could be gone

Post Thanks / Like

^^ that being said, the best trip I ever had was 100% squat and rot. Never pulled the anchors in 30 hours

Just moved them from the front cleat to the back cleat at tide change

Post Thanks / Like

weekend wrap up

Quote Originally Posted by Skypig View Post
    Nice!

Do you roam around hunting for the fish, or just go to what you know are established spots?

I roamed around the outgoing end of New York Slough, the top of Brown Island, Broad Slough, and around Point Sacramento, as well as up and down New York Slough and the San Joaquin river around Antioch looking for what I hoped would be sturgeon (fish on the bottom).

I tried about 5 spots and got two bites using roe and lamprey in about 8 hours

I'm wondering if this is the way to find the spots, just cruising around in what you hope are likely areas, find fish, then set up on them and fish.

Trying to figure this sturgeon thing out.
    Itís funny you ask that because I do tend to get stuck going into the same areas that I have found fish in the past, but I do explore and look in different spots,sometimes you get lucky and find fish where you donít expect them

If you donít have it already I suggest Navionics on your phone fish do tend to travel in similar areas during similar conditions that if you pay attention to where youíre at and whatís going on around you over time to get a good idea of where to expect fish during any given day. But just because you have a good idea of where they might be doesnít mean you donít have to drive there and scope around for a while....

Definitely donít be afraid to pull the anchor and explore new areas if youíre not getting bit where you think you should be. The fish donít understand your expectations

I covered 128 miles but that is including running to the dock to pick up friends and drop off friends

Last edited by heatsource; 03-18-2019 at 02:25 PM.

10. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"landed around 25 sturgeon"

I would call that an outstanding 3.5 days!

Great report.
    Gratitude

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

Do you roam around hunting for the fish, or just go to what you know are established spots?

I roamed around the outgoing end of New York Slough, the top of Brown Island, Broad Slough, and around Point Sacramento, as well as up and down New York Slough and the San Joaquin river around Antioch looking for what I hoped would be sturgeon (fish on the bottom).

I tried about 5 spots and got two bites using roe and lamprey in about 8 hours

I'm wondering if this is the way to find the spots, just cruising around in what you hope are likely areas, find fish, then set up on them and fish.

Trying to figure this sturgeon thing out.
    Taking off and flying is easy, it's the landings that will kill you.

Oh Yeah!...Salmon!...Everything else is just practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast