Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Lake Tahoe Fishing Report - Today !!

We had some rain showers yesterday afternoon and 25 degrees this morning for a BRRRRRRRRR moment ! Mornings will be on the chilly side this week for sure . So bundle up or launch later in the morning after the sun comes up for some quality springtime fishing ! Cheers ! Geno

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Lake Tahoe Fishing Report - Today !!

Today was the 6th day in a row of limits on the lake of the sky . Big fat minnows with dodgers or Big fat minnows with flashers are Deadly this time of year as as always .1 to 8 pound fish are the standard . The mature breeding fish are feeding hard to put on weight for the spawning period from July to December ( I have caught them with spawning lose eggs inside during this period for the last several decades ). Anyway, if the weather gets any nicer .... we are all going to have to enjoy it . Great to really awesome fishing right now . Winds are coming up almost every afternoon so fish early and be a casual landlubber with the family in the afternoon ! Cheers to all and safe boating people ! Captain Gene St. Denis

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Tahoe Fishing Report - Today !!

Jetspray , Yes they are , and spreading north . I brought this to their attention over 20 years ago . Asian clam (Corbicula fluminea) is a non-native freshwater bivalve that has established in Lake Tahoe. They are small, averaging less 1.5 inches, with light green or light brown shells.The removal program was started in emerald bay and will resume again this spring with divers . They cover the bottom of infected turf with black plastic sheeting ( held with rocks ) until the little critters are killed by heat and suffocation . They then move the sheeting to the next quad ( with slight over Lap ) , just like what we did while searching for ancient native American sites on land with grids . We first started seeing them ( clams ) while diving at south shore in the 1980's off Tahoe Keys , you can taste bad water in your air Tanks hose mouth piece in these main infected areas . They then were seen steadily moving east and west from there. The vast colony of clams started in Emerald bay was created by the wealthy house boat people entering the Tahoe Keys ( for years before the inspections ) . Then motoring across the lake of the Sky and spending the summer in Emerald bay and pumping their very infected Bilge waters into the pristine waters of the legendary Clear waters. Some years you will see 2 to3 dozen or more anchored there ...all summer . Common sense and wealth sometimes do not go hand in hand . Cheers ! Geno
    Last edited by Gene St. Denis; 04-24-2019 at 06:55 AM.

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gene I have heard that Pyramid will rise 8 feet from last year with their predictions, I will wait to see the results. Just a few years ago the ramp at Blockhouse was 6 feet out of the water, now the waters are lapping on it, so I guess it will be a few feet under soon. Maybe the Marina will start up and loose some of the traffic at Pelican, we can only hope. Are you still seeing the mussels at Cave Rock? I thought they had a plan to rid that area of them......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

6. Likes Gene St. Denis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Lake Tahoe Fishing Report - Today !!

Rodger that Jetspray ! Today we had a another stellar day of limits of Mackinaw fishing on " The lake of the sky ". With 1 to 6 pound bright orange fillets . The next 10 days should be awesome with only the chance of afternoon thunder showers this Weds. and Thurs. Other wise Bright sunny days with mild winds . A bulging Tahoe should be close to filling up Pyramid this spring and that means a lot of feed for fish in both lakes ! Be safe on the waters everyone , and remember to give way instead of Ramming ! Cheers to All ! Captain Gene St. Denis

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene St. Denis View Post
    Jetspray and Fishwong 2 , Thanks a bunch and lets all have great spring ! Cheers ! Geno
    I am thinking the same thing Gene, as soon as the waters settle it is going to be a great fishing season. One thing I have noticed is the amounts of growth in the water and how quickly it is coming in. The fact is showing at Topaz, this is the first year (in 13 that I have lived here) we have caught so many crawdad's in the lake, on more than one shore....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

10. Likes Gene St. Denis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jetspray and Fishwong 2 , Thanks a bunch and lets all have great spring ! Cheers ! Geno

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gene:

Somehow,, I clicked dislike and can't get rid of it!!!! I am really enjoying following this thread.

I enjoyed your advice and was curious as to the "minnows" that you are using (learning about the forage base in Tahoe).
    I'll probably never have the opportunity of fishing, there but am still very curious

14. Likes Gene St. Denis liked this post
    Dislikes Gene St. Denis disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The run off looks to be spectacular, I have heard reports from the other end of the Truckee River into Pyramid as well. They expect that lake to come up 8 feet (close in size to Tahoe). I have not been out with my boat yet as I am restricted in what I can do. We may see you soon......Dave Peterson (aka Jetspray)

16. Likes Gene St. Denis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys ! Ladies and Gentlemen we have ......." Great fishing right now on the Lake of the Sky " ! The Mackinaw are feeding Heavy due to the spring time runoff nutrients creating vast amounts of shrimp clouds . This last week we have had warmer temperatures up here that have melted off a vast amount of snow at Lake Tahoe . Steady action for the Lake Trout in waters on Tahoe from 80 feet to 250 feet depending in the area on the Lake of the sky . The ramp has not had any impeding snow on it for over a couple weeks ( despite what you may has heard ). Live minnows have a " Hugh " edge over rubber baits when trailed behind a dodger or set of flasher blades . Rainbows, and Browns can also be had as well If you work in shallow tight with small / medium stick baits in brown or rainbow schemes . This action is hit and miss depending on the day and anglers expertise . Cheers and safe boating People ! This my 20th straight year of guiding on Lake Tahoe Year Round and it has been a Gas ! Captain Gene St.Denis

18. Likes Katch, burninfuel, Jetspray, HONEYBEE liked this post
    Dislikes HONEYBEE disliked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast