Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stripers in the Moke ???

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    well with the Lower Moke closing Sunday . I am bringing what I can that looks like a bait fish Cleos ,Rapala . to the same spot and If i get it .I will post it . and I will enjoy eating it . Like as if I`m saving Steelhead Smolts at the same time!!!

IMO some predation is a positive for those smolts. They have to learn at some point that their lives are going to be faced with everything wanting to eat them, might as well start it early, probably makes them smarter and more aware of their environment than those ones that are dumped at wimpys out of the hatchery trucks at 12" that have never once seen another species of fish than their own. I've watched DFW guys drop off smolts at that ramp, those smolts are dumb and clueless due to having been raised in hatchery raceways. Watched a little 10" smallmouth come out from under the dock once and herd a few of those clueless smolts into the shallows then shake one up a bit, not kill it, but nipped it and was clearly trying to get the smolts to leave his territory. It's understandable as to why they're so clueless. Some of those hatcheries up north introduce a pike minnow or whatever into the raceways from what I had heard, to make the smolts have some predator awareness as they grow in the hatchery.

The smolts on the American, Feather, Yuba and Sac all have to deal with stripes from the get go.

Like I've always said, for anyone who thinks stripes are bad, at least they wait for the smolts to get to some size before becoming interested in them. Steelhead don't even have the decency to wait, they eat salmon and cannibalize their own right out of the womb while on the gravel.
    Last edited by dsa2780; 03-30-2019 at 02:23 PM.

2. Likes RideNfish, redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well with the Lower Moke closing Sunday . I am bringing what I can that looks like a bait fish Cleos ,Rapala . to the same spot and If i get it .I will post it . and I will enjoy eating it . Like as if I`m saving Steelhead Smolts at the same time!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the biggest striped I have ever seen chasing a Shad I had on the hook once in the American river. Swam right through my legs. It actually scares the **** out of me when I first saw it. I bet it was in the 25-30# range. Wish I had that in my hook instead one a 1# Shad!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    From DFW "Two small plants of striped bass from the East Coast were made in California. The first release of 132 small fish was made near Martinez in 1879 and in 1882 an additional 300 were released in lower Suisun Bay. Within 10 years a commercial fishery had developed and did well until it was closed in 1935 in an effort to build up the sport fishery.

They are on the Stanislaus in the Knights Ferry area as well.
    I feel I`m on the the Outdoor Life History Channel here!!! I have learned more in 1 week than all my years in School.

6. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From DFW "Two small plants of striped bass from the East Coast were made in California. The first release of 132 small fish was made near Martinez in 1879 and in 1882 an additional 300 were released in lower Suisun Bay. Within 10 years a commercial fishery had developed and did well until it was closed in 1935 in an effort to build up the sport fishery.

They are on the Stanislaus in the Knights Ferry area as well.

8. Likes robdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stripers were transplanted into the bay and delta system in the late 1800s from the East Coast. There have been a couple dams built since then that have fish ladders in them. Stripers aren’t as adept at climbing fish ladders as Salmon and Steelhead are, but they’re plenty capable. Stripers also tend to hold in deeper slower water like valley rivers vs riffles and such higher in the river systems, but again they’re fully capable of making it to the hatchery on the Feather (have seen them above Hwy 70 in the low flow section) and it appears they make it to the hatchery on the Moke.

They do have an effect on fry and smolts but they can’t eat them all and they don’t tend to hangout high in the system for long periods of time. Very rare to see them above the Outlet Hole in the Feather, or above Redbluff on the Sac. There are quite a few in the American, but it still has a viable resident trout and migratory Steelhead population.

Having one try and eat your fish will get the blood pumping, and I agree with your thought they can have an impact on Salmon and Steelhead populations, but I also think this situation has been around for a long time, and it’s not that big of a deal. Just my opinion.

Hope you get there again soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    No they are not native, they are an east coast transplant.
    so Stripers and Steelhead have Not Coexisted for Million of years In This part of the world meaning California and Im sure a Striper and a Steelhead will live as one if the Steelhead is 7-6-8 Lbs if that fish is not Eaten when it was a Fry or Smolts By a Striper. can a Smolts coexist with a Hungry Striper . ??any who Mom nature Know More than we do . Just funny to see a Striper Up that far .lets hope the Stipers saves a few smolts in the river to for us to catch when they grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be part of the stripers that were there before they installed the Lodi lake dam. But I’m sure a striper can come up the ladder too.

Post Thanks / Like

Stripers, Lagremouth, Smallmouth, Spotted Bass, American and Threadfin Shad, Catfish, Carp and Crappie are all imports into the delta system.

Portions of American River Salmon and Steelhead runs are too technically (Hatchery Broodstock came from the Eel River back in time). Given the overlap of different runs, hatcheries and limited natural spawning it’s hard to see how they’re not all mutts anyhow, but they seem to figure it out. The Sac still gets winter run fish, the Feather and Butte Creek still get spring fish and there are still around a million Sac system fish supposedly wandering around the ocean in different year classes. I wouldn’t want to be a salmon smolt wandering through the delta, but I wouldn’t bet against them either. They’re resilient little buggers.

Post Thanks / Like

No they are not native, they are an east coast transplant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast