Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shasta in April ??

Its very informative and helpful for those who planned to visit these places. It help a lot in preparing for your trip. Guys keep it up

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like u guys had an awesome trip. Good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

We returned home yesterday after spending 3 nights at Shasta. When we were looking for a place to stay we picked the upper Sac arm. That meant unless I wanted to make really long runs the McCloud and Squaw Creek areas were out of the question. The furthest south that I ran was O'Brien Creek. We also fished the areas around Elmore Bay, Sugarloaf, and Salt Creek. I was told the Sac river arm can be tough and the best fishing is east of Bridge Bay. Oh well we picked the facilities based on comfort and convenience.
    Now for fishing. In the first evening just trying to explore we landed 20 fish. On Tuesday we boated 55. Wednesday 68. Thursday morning before 10 am we landed 51. Best fish of the trip was 3.5 pounds and it hit a Senko. My best fish was 2.5 pounds. Most fish were 12 to 14 inches but a decent amount of 15-16 inch fish. I took way too much tackle and spent some time trying different things but we finally settled on drop shot with KVD dream shot in dirt or chartreus. Other baits that produced decent numbers were 3" Keitechs, wacky Senkos, Hula grubs, single tail grubs and of course dart heads with Roboworms. A few top water fish but all small and a couple of lipless crankbait fish. Most of the other fishermen were sticking to soft plastics in white or chartreus.
    Some points produced a few fish and some did not. Steep walls produced more decent fish. Most of our fish were shallow and we saw bed fish every day. Back of the pockets tended to produce numbers but some pockets had nothing but 10-12 inch fish. However our best fish also came in the back of pockets and the only 5 pound bed fish I saw was in 2' of water in a pocket.
    We landed about 5 smallmouth per day but only one largemouth the entire trip. Best smallmouth was 2 pounds.
    My next trip up might be more about fishing and not so much about taking a few days off to kick back. That will probably mean fishing out of Bridge bay.

4. Likes nayr, burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fun thing about Shasta is you can catch bass just about anyway you want to fish for them. I fish similar to what you describe and have done well with the spotted bass. Only thing is Ive had better results relatively deep (20-30), so I fish heavier weight than others just because Im impatient. I will admit the better fish Ive caught were on sencos suspended near trees, so I guess I should learn some patience. Color never seemed to matter in my experience, but I fished greens mostly.

Ive never done very well on largemouth but I know they have some nice ones. Just figured Id enjoy what the lake does best (lots and lots of spots and some 3-4 pounders) and go to the delta or Clear Lake for largemouth, but its pretty cool to have options.

Others Im sure have more experience up there, but thats what I know. Enjoy you trip. Should be a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

Oxblood and rhythm and blues are tried and true staples as are brown with chartreuse tip and violet with chartreuse tip. Spots will be dominant, but red clay secondary points are not to be overlooked if you need a bronze bass fix - dragging a root beer gitzit on a 3/16 darthead is a smallmouth killer.

Can be tiresome to fish but Shasta can be a great ripbait lake as well if you run across clear water and some wind or cloud cover.

Love Shasta in the spring. While its not a big producer of giants, a 4# average is not out of the question nor is a 50-75 fish day.

Im usually focused on Clear Lake this time of year but am seriously reconsidering in favor of Shasta after this and posts on another site.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Shasta in April ??

I know a lot of guys who fish Shasta in April but this will be my first time to ever fish Shasta. I am mostly a soft plastics or jig type fisherman but will throw small swimbaits and lipless cranks occasionally. I was wondering if anyone here has a favorite color for plastic worms or senkos. I have been told white almost always works then you go to morning dawn and pale greens or browns. I have a ton of older darker colored worms that I plan on taking just to see if I can use them up if the bite is off the hook.

The Robowrms that I buy the most of are,
    Warmouth
    Prism shad
    Morning Dawn
    Oxblood

Senkos tend to be green pumpkins and whites

I also have bags and bags of Strike King, Zoom, Berkley and other brands I don't tend to use much anymore.

I will drop shot and Darthead the most but I will throw creature baits also as well as a bunch of Keitechs.

My son tells me I have to take some glide baits just because. I will take a Waver as well as a couple of others. I typically don't throw these much except for stripers.
    Last edited by Grncrestliner; 03-27-2019 at 09:12 AM.