Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for SF Bay Boat Fishing Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    Friend has private launch access both in Novato and Sausalito, so were good on that front :)
    Private launch in Novato sounds like BMK. If the boat is as big as you say I'd just like to caution you that all the heavy rains have changed the creek alot. I would not navigate the creek in a tide below 4ft with my North River Seahawk 22.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Friend has private launch access both in Novato and Sausalito, so were good on that front :)

3. Likes nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

sausalito boat launch:

https://youtu.be/2YRPgIqmhmo

it's a pretty hairy launch, i would try loch lomond, or berkeley.

Post Thanks / Like

Download and use an app like navionics to help u know where u are since u dont have a FF. There are free ones that work well too.

Im also pretty sure the only good ramp in sausalito is private to the yacht harbor. I could be wrong tho
    Last edited by nayr; 04-24-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    If you want to set anchor and fish I would launch out of San Rafael and fish around Buoy 5. Right on the edge of the channel. Fish the flats before the drop off into the channel on a incoming tide.

If you want to drift for halibut, try the Berkeley flats or the sandy shores around Angel Island.
    Thanks! Drifting is in the cards, I think. Will just have to catch up on practices a bit via YouTube.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to set anchor and fish I would launch out of San Rafael and fish around Buoy 5. Right on the edge of the channel. Fish the flats before the drop off into the channel on a incoming tide.

If you want to drift for halibut, try the Berkeley flats or the sandy shores around Angel Island.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for SF Bay Boat Fishing Advice

Looking for some boat fishing tips for the SF Bay.

I have a good amount of surf, shore & pier fishing experience (leopards, rays, stripers etc.), but no boating. A buddy has a good-sized boat and weve been talking about organizing a fishing trip on the Bay with our friends (launching from Novato or possibly Sausalito), with a focus on hanging out and showing everybody a good time. To be prepared Id love all the information I can get, regardless of how basic it seams. Id rather have a number of exciting catches than a singular finesse-fished fish, so sharks/rays would be okay. But if I can semi-guarantee a successful trip *and* we catch salmon, halibut or sturgeon... awesome!

I got enough saltwater gear for 6 people or so (50+lbs line, steel leaders, chovies etc. No fishfinder, though.) What are good locations and approaches in the Bay to cut down on the chance of our group getting skunked? I think I prefer setting anchor somewhere over trolling... but you tell me!
    Last edited by Drakestar; 04-24-2019 at 11:58 AM.