Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nice Blurgill at Collins 4/22

Some of the largest fish caught at Collins are from the bank by the Dam and off the dock.

Especially Trout.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    Collins has lots of good shore access. You can fish 100 feet from your car or you can walk a mile to get away from the camps. A couple of easy walks would be in the back of the first cove (Elmer's) you get to as you enter the gate. You will have to drive in and get a day pass but then you can circle back and fish Elmer's cove. Another good area with trees in the water right now is 500 yards before you get to the dam. Maybe a little over half way between the main boat launch and the dam.

Look at a map of Collins on line and you will see a relatively new trail that that is near the entrance and goes around the lake behind that first cove. That trail is easy and can get you to some flooded trees in the next cove to the north, as well as some areas on the opposite side of Elmer's.

If the kids get tired of fishing there is a decent play structure and of course ice cream at the store. You could even let them swim at the swim beach to cool off. My grandkids love it at Collins. If they aren't catching fish they swim.
    Thank you!!! Appreciate the intel!

Post Thanks / Like

Collins has lots of good shore access. You can fish 100 feet from your car or you can walk a mile to get away from the camps. A couple of easy walks would be in the back of the first cove (Elmer's) you get to as you enter the gate. You will have to drive in and get a day pass but then you can circle back and fish Elmer's cove. Another good area with trees in the water right now is 500 yards before you get to the dam. Maybe a little over half way between the main boat launch and the dam.

Look at a map of Collins on line and you will see a relatively new trail that that is near the entrance and goes around the lake behind that first cove. That trail is easy and can get you to some flooded trees in the next cove to the north, as well as some areas on the opposite side of Elmer's.

If the kids get tired of fishing there is a decent play structure and of course ice cream at the store. You could even let them swim at the swim beach to cool off. My grandkids love it at Collins. If they aren't catching fish they swim.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there good access to fish from shore? Was thinking of taking my kids (5 and 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a redear sunfish to me. Nice fish though.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I’m glad you caught something at Collins. I was up there trolling for trout the last two Fridays. Fished a total of 12 hours for the two days and caught 1 bass the first time and 1 trout the second. Don’t know what is going on up there but basically no one was catching much of anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a hybrid Green SF/Bluegill? Nice fish.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, don't know why pic is sideways when I upload it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Blurgill at Collins 4/22

Was surprised to catch the biggest Bluegill I've ever seen while trying to catch trout using an inflated crawler. He put up a good fight! didn't measure, but my guess about 11 inches and 1.5 to 2 lbs. I'm 6'2 250 for reference and holding fishing close in pic.

20190422_141723_HDR.jpg

10. Likes CDK, nayr, Katch liked this post