Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations on Spots up by HWY 50 or 88 tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Are you talking about fishing the reservoir itself? The creek upstream being Gerle Creek at the north point of the reservoir or angel creek to the east? Does the South Park of Gerle Creek (the actual creek) have fish in it too? I’d like to try and catch a brook, never caught one before! Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerle creek between Loon Lake and Gerle Creek Reservoir. There fish downstream of the Reservoir too. Name changes to the Rubicon River downstream of the lake if you’re looking at a map. There are Rainbows, Brookies and Browns in the creeks but they’re generally pretty small. Pretty buggers though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Ice House Road turns into Wentworth Springs Road. When you get to the cutoff to Loon go straight and follow the signs. Gerle has browns and doesn’t get planted so please follow catch and release ethics.

Smaller spoons and 2” power minnows fished quick and eradicate seem to work. Fly guys strip streamers and soak nymphs. They can be very picky and it’s not a planter rainbow lake, but it does have some nice fish. Please treat accordingly. Good luck.

The Creek upstream has lots of little brookies as a backup plan.
    Are you talking about fishing the reservoir itself? The creek upstream being Gerle Creek at the north point of the reservoir or angel creek to the east? Does the South Park of Gerle Creek (the actual creek) have fish in it too? I’d like to try and catch a brook, never caught one before! Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gbslade View Post
    Tiger Creek Road is closed. According to the Forest Service the roads that allow access to Salt Springs are either still snow bound or closed due to storm damage.

The Moke is running very high below all reservoirs. Use caution if you fish. Last Friday a kayaker had to be rescued from the Electra run. Capsized upstream of the 49 bridge. Found alive later at Middle Bar.
    I was there on the 21st and I still saw 2 rafts with Dogs and People on it floating down stream from that beach area Upstream They did have helmets on and Life jackets and even the dogs had the jackets on so I hope it was not them . They seems to be veterans at doing it , but then again the water and the current control your life at High Flows ,Common thinking does not!!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Tiger Creek Road is closed. According to the Forest Service the roads that allow access to Salt Springs are either still snow bound or closed due to storm damage.

The Moke is running very high below all reservoirs. Use caution if you fish. Last Friday a kayaker had to be rescued from the Electra run. Capsized upstream of the 49 bridge. Found alive later at Middle Bar.

Post Thanks / Like

You can walk into gerle creek. The fish are all native german brown trout . The last time i went up there i used crickets for bait . The orange and brown power bait is good also .
    It's fun lake to fish or just relax . The fish are finicky and if you do catch one they are fun to catch . Just do the c and r .
    The best part of the lake is no power boats or electric powered boats. Just non- powered boats only.
    Born to fish and hunt !! forced to work

6. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    I actually think access to Tiger Creek is still down. I tried to get there a few months ago, but the Road was partially washed out so Caltrans had closed it and blocked it off. There were active members of caltrans turning cars around to get to Tiger creek. Bear river was still frozen over two weeks ago, but it may have thawed with all the warm weather.

In the Moke River area, are all of the streams usually pretty active with fish. I've just fished Silverfork off of 50 and the upper Sac by redding in regards to streams and fly fishing.

Does anyone have any tips on the carson river up by highway 88/89 crossing? My friend has a cabin up that way and i'm planning on going up there in June. Looks like it could be decent, just not sure about the fishing. I know Silver Lake has fish, been catching rainbows there since I was a kid.

Thanks for the help again everyone!

That river does not get planted Electra (Moke) so your relying on Pardee planted fish coming upstream and Tiger creek fish that are Mainly generations of wild fish to have a good spawn year. Browns are self sustaining if you can get them . the Bows are small in the 7-8 inch range because they are native and they don`t plant there anymore Electra Rd Outside of Jackson has always been good, but Hard to get fish because flows fluctuate. as is Fishing .Its a hard gig ,but the rewards are tasty. Try The upstream water from the PGE generator at Tiger . or just fish the Lake it self . Outsdie the Sunbathers at Electra . Fishing and Site seeing can be interesting!!!!if not Illegal!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    Google the Moke river area , Look at Tiger creek Res or bear River res. are good spots, salt springs had the states Biggest Trout caught a few years Back or Fish the Bridge at Middle Bar and wait for the Trout to come upstream from Pardee Res. Bring beer food and a Crab Net /Your good to go. or hit the Stan river at Big trees state park or Sourgrass area /Boards crossing if the snow all gone .
    I actually think access to Tiger Creek is still down. I tried to get there a few months ago, but the Road was partially washed out so Caltrans had closed it and blocked it off. There were active members of caltrans turning cars around to get to Tiger creek. Bear river was still frozen over two weeks ago, but it may have thawed with all the warm weather.

In the Moke River area, are all of the streams usually pretty active with fish. I've just fished Silverfork off of 50 and the upper Sac by redding in regards to streams and fly fishing.

Does anyone have any tips on the carson river up by highway 88/89 crossing? My friend has a cabin up that way and i'm planning on going up there in June. Looks like it could be decent, just not sure about the fishing. I know Silver Lake has fish, been catching rainbows there since I was a kid.

Thanks for the help again everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Google the Moke river area , Look at Tiger creek Res or bear River res. are good spots, salt springs had the states Biggest Trout caught a few years Back or Fish the Bridge at Middle Bar and wait for the Trout to come upstream from Pardee Res. Bring beer food and a Crab Net /Your good to go. or hit the Stan river at Big trees state park or Sourgrass area /Boards crossing if the snow all gone .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. I'm not at all familiar with any of that area, but it looks beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it wasn't the most productive trip, but hope it was enjoyable non the less. Big winter this year which is a blessing for the water, but definitely delays the spring fishing a fair bit.

I've caught at total of one 16" brown out of the South Fork of Silver Creek between Ice House and Junction Reservoir out of the three times I've fished that section, and I sacrificed a fair amount of skin bushwhacking to get it. I thought they stocked it with rainbows near the Ice House Resort at one time, but don't know about currently. I expect some fish make their way down from Ice House and there are wild rainbows and brookies in most of those creeks, but they're typically quite small. I'm not aware of a lot of put and take rainbow plants in creeks in the area. The Silver and South Forks of the American get some plants each year, but not anything like the Carson or lakes do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast