Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations on Spots up by HWY 50 or 88 tomorrow?

Silver is at extremely high flows and there was about 8-10 inches of snow on the ground earlier in the week. According to the DFW site and some local gossip the south fork of the American was planted this week up near camp Sacramento. Every lake is extremely full and every creek is at high flows. Good Luck and Stay Dry!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Drove up early this morning. Ice House is clear and open, the road to Wrights is still covered in snow.

Looon is still covered as well. I tried to go to Gerle, but there's no access, gates are all still closed. Wasn't sure if I was allowed to park and walk in or not. Sounds like some of the gates will open up May 1st.

I did see a planter truck today at Ice House as I was leaving. Saw a few anglers on shore and one boat.

Drove up to a spot I fish on the Silverfork and it's flowing big time. Not going to be able to access anything for awhile.

Anyone ever have any luck fishing silver creek or is there even any fish in there? I tried to fish some of the slower moving spots, but access is tough for both fly and lure fishing.

thanks for the help everyone.
    Silver is tough fishing. I hiked in last year below Junction and spent a few hours down there. Eventually found a good hole and just hit it relentlessly until I hooked up with one hard fighting but small bow. Got him on the finesse with cured roe. Beautiful colors and tasted wonderful!
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Likes hooks, CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macfish View Post

They have some cool places I wish I had more experience with. Similar history to PG&E, SMUD, EID and Placer County Water Agency. They all run some very complex water and power projects. Just a different watershed is all.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

There's a canal that comes out of Gerle Creek Reservoir and runs down to the South Fork of the Rubicon to a powerhouse. I believe it's operated by SMUD. I expect it was just a mixup between SMUD and NID. Possibly something I don't know too, but yes there are fish in it at times. They do drain it on occasion, so it's just fish washed down from the Rubicon or out of Gerle in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macfish View Post
    They were doing a lot of work on Gerle camp ground and trails last year and the east side of the lake was closed. What amazed me was how well everything has recovered from the fire in that area. You do have to be aware of the dangers of the river /creek flows as they are controlled. The NID ditch has fish in it to, but you have to be sneaky not to spook them.
    Is NID by Gerle or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

They were doing a lot of work on Gerle camp ground and trails last year and the east side of the lake was closed. What amazed me was how well everything has recovered from the fire in that area. You do have to be aware of the dangers of the river /creek flows as they are controlled. The NID ditch has fish in it to, but you have to be sneaky not to spook them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Pretty fish. Most of the creeks in the area have the little brookies. Browns are somewhat rare. Mepps #1 spinners work well. I actually do better casting upstream and retrieving them down current. Kind of counter intuitive but it’s a reaction bite. Also helps the stealth aspect as they’re facing into the current and you can work your way upstream. I also like to move somewhat quickly. If you’re going to get bit it will be the first couple of casts. Not very effective to make repetitive casts that way.

Opposite side of the spectrum is to drift fish a small piece of worm under a bobber. Down side of doing it is they tend to swallow it, and you’ve got a dead 6” trout. If you do it I recommend very small circle hooks. They’re kind of hard to find, but they are around. Circle hooks hook fish in the jaw as it pulls out of the mouth. They’re not as effective drift fishing this way but they don’t gut hook fish which is important with the little guys.

There are a few lakes in Desolation Wilderness that have Goldens. A few off the 88 corridor too. None of them I know of are easy to get to, but they’re around if you’re willing to put in the miles. One other place to check is the creeks below those lakes. It’s amazing how small some of those creeks are that hold fish. You can step across several.

Lots of off the beaten path options in the area.
    Went up to Gerle today. Fished the reservoir at two different entrances. I had to walk in today. They’re doing some work at the dam and up north near the campsites (wood chipping). The water is about 60F right now, fairly clear, but also shallow at the bank, so hard to get lures out there. Got skunked. Never fished here so wasn’t sure what to use. The creek are running pretty high. There are high water signs all over the area, warning about creek over flows.

I’d like to fish the creeks someday, just not sure where to start.

Drove up to Loon to see if I could access part of Gerle Creek, but my car doesn’t do well in snow. Most of Loon is ice and snow free now.

Campsites and lakes are supposed to open 5/24. Lots of SMUD cars and trucks getting things open today.

Gerle

Loon Lake

Ice House (water is up SUPER high. Need waders if you want anything to get out deep right now)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for the help. I’ll have to try the reservoir (I’ve never caught a brown either) and then maybe the creek between Gerle reservoir and Loon. Been fishing all my life and never caught a brown or brook. So sad! Hopefully I’ll be able to do some backpacking to try my luck at a Golden this summer too.

Pretty fish. Most of the creeks in the area have the little brookies. Browns are somewhat rare. Mepps #1 spinners work well. I actually do better casting upstream and retrieving them down current. Kind of counter intuitive but it’s a reaction bite. Also helps the stealth aspect as they’re facing into the current and you can work your way upstream. I also like to move somewhat quickly. If you’re going to get bit it will be the first couple of casts. Not very effective to make repetitive casts that way.

Opposite side of the spectrum is to drift fish a small piece of worm under a bobber. Down side of doing it is they tend to swallow it, and you’ve got a dead 6” trout. If you do it I recommend very small circle hooks. They’re kind of hard to find, but they are around. Circle hooks hook fish in the jaw as it pulls out of the mouth. They’re not as effective drift fishing this way but they don’t gut hook fish which is important with the little guys.

There are a few lakes in Desolation Wilderness that have Goldens. A few off the 88 corridor too. None of them I know of are easy to get to, but they’re around if you’re willing to put in the miles. One other place to check is the creeks below those lakes. It’s amazing how small some of those creeks are that hold fish. You can step across several.

Lots of off the beaten path options in the area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Gerle creek between Loon Lake and Gerle Creek Reservoir. There fish downstream of the Reservoir too. Name changes to the Rubicon River downstream of the lake if you’re looking at a map. There are Rainbows, Brookies and Browns in the creeks but they’re generally pretty small. Pretty buggers though...
    Awesome. Thanks for the help. I’ll have to try the reservoir (I’ve never caught a brown either) and then maybe the creek between Gerle reservoir and Loon. Been fishing all my life and never caught a brown or brook. So sad! Hopefully I’ll be able to do some backpacking to try my luck at a Golden this summer too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast