Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crawfish

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: crawfish

Quote Originally Posted by Owlman2 View Post
    I can tell you that every large rainbow or brown (over 10#)I have caught have had crawdads in them.

But I have never tried to use live craws or a simulation for trout. As I sit here writing this....I wonder why.
    I was thinking of the same thing and maybe a try at jigging them at Topaz. They are starting to show up, but Topaz has a bunch of carp and they look for the same things.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: crawfish

I can tell you that every large rainbow or brown (over 10#)I have caught have had crawdads in them.

But I have never tried to use live craws or a simulation for trout. As I sit here writing this....I wonder why.

3. Likes CAL.NDN, Jetspray, bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: crawfish

Hey fellas something like this?......Jetspray

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-LURES-D-CRAW/1734733.uts?slotId=4
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robertash20 View Post
    Any one use crawdads in lakes for big trout? is it better to float fish them so they cant get into the rocks? ive been reading that trophy browns cant ignore a small 2" molted crawdad. Im assuming you hooj them through the tail?

Well the name fits . Yes big trout love dads . I would use the whole thing just for natural appearance and fish it carolina rigged with a large enough egg sinker so the dad cant move it, and put the hook thru the back and come out the tail just enough to keep it on the hook & not kill it , plus if you keep a tight line it cant go to far anyway . My buddy just got a 12lb hog that had whole dads in it stomach so there you go . Man I wish I had a 2 inch molted dad right now!!

Tightlines BF
    Last edited by bigfin; 05-02-2019 at 06:52 PM.

6. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used them in streams and rivers before, just the tail, with minimal success. I was getting bit but couldn't get a decent hook set and they spit it really fast.

I know that the rainbows in Tahoe love them. We caught nice big rainbows trolling flashers and live minnows and some of them were gorged full with crawdads....and small pebbles that they sucked in eating them.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

8. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

crawfish

Any one use crawdads in lakes for big trout? is it better to float fish them so they cant get into the rocks? ive been reading that trophy browns cant ignore a small 2" molted crawdad. Im assuming you hooj them through the tail?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12