Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to SF Ocean Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by duhkevinz View Post
    Yeah tankers and tug boats. The wake from the tug boats can be scary sometimes.

Im planning to go out and try to troll / ball bounce. I was reading some tutorials and it seems like the only different between regular trolling vs ball bouncing trolling is the weight of the ball and troll speed? Same exact setup with the three way, dodger, hoochie and bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the more you troll the heavier the ball you will need. I use 10 ounce for a small dodger and bait. Add a hoochie and you might have to go to 12 ounces. Just make sure your hitting the bottom. Adjust troll speed to the tide and wind conditions.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    What do you mean by big boat traffic? Oil tankers, cargo ships, tub boats, and ferry boats?

No big boats like that. Just a lot of fishing boats and party boats when the bite is on. Most folks are considerate and don't make any more of a wake then the swells are that are on the bay from the wind. By noon, the Bay can be rough.
    Yeah tankers and tug boats. The wake from the tug boats can be scary sometimes.

Im planning to go out and try to troll / ball bounce. I was reading some tutorials and it seems like the only different between regular trolling vs ball bouncing trolling is the weight of the ball and troll speed? Same exact setup with the three way, dodger, hoochie and bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess there would be less big boat traffic to deal with around Alameda rock wall as well right.
    What do you mean by big boat traffic? Oil tankers, cargo ships, tub boats, and ferry boats?

No big boats like that. Just a lot of fishing boats and party boats when the bite is on. Most folks are considerate and don't make any more of a wake then the swells are that are on the bay from the wind. By noon, the Bay can be rough.
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

4. Likes duhkevinz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    I really don't care for the launch ramp at Berkeley. Richmond is a much better ramp.

Halibut bite has been good along the Alameda Rock Wall, San Bruno Shoal, and along SFO. If you launch out of San Leandro and it's a low tide, make sure you go all the way out through the channel markers before turning North.

Good luck.
    I would guess there would be less big boat traffic to deal with around Alameda rock wall as well right.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't care for the launch ramp at Berkeley. Richmond is a much better ramp.

Halibut bite has been good along the Alameda Rock Wall, San Bruno Shoal, and along SFO. If you launch out of San Leandro and it's a low tide, make sure you go all the way out through the channel markers before turning North.

Good luck.
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

7. Likes duhkevinz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhkevinz View Post
    Wow I used to fish off that pier and my google maps just said its permanently closed.

Yeah unfortunately its been closed a few years now.

Theres a few options where u can launch. Your boat or where your driving from might dictate where u launch. U have loch lomond in marin, the richmond marina (probably nicest public ramp we currently have, berkeley, encinal ramp alameda, and san leandro marina.

To answer your question from the other thread, live bait is in San Francisco at J & P bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NovaCX12 View Post
    If you launch from the Berkeley boat ramp. The flats are right out front along the old pier left or right side. Look for the private boats and party boats, won't be hard to see what area they are drifting. Watch the weather as it gets bumpy quick.

Good luck!
    Wow I used to fish off that pier and my google maps just said its permanently closed.

Post Thanks / Like

If you launch from the Berkeley boat ramp. The flats are right out front along the old pier left or right side. Look for the private boats and party boats, won't be hard to see what area they are drifting. Watch the weather as it gets bumpy quick.

Good luck!

11. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Havent been to berkeley flats but arw been producing halibut
    dont take life to serious, let go and smile to see what your missing out on

Post Thanks / Like

New to SF Ocean Fishing

Looking to take my boat out to fish in the bay this weekend. I hear people talk about Berkeley Flats but not sure what general area that is. Any advice where to launch from?

Thanks!

14. Likes parker1860 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123