Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to SF Ocean Fishing

Sorry you got seasick. Get some transdermal, put it on the night before. Half a patch will suffice for a two day trip.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

2. Likes duhkevinz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post
    wow you got the sea sickness stuff bad :( Make sure you take it the night before and the morning of your trip).
    Regarding the tides:Fish when you can fish!The big tides and muddy water make for tough conditions but we catch fish anyways.Friday we had big minus tides,afternoon wind,muddy water and poor visibility etc....3 of us had the halibut jumping in the boat all day.Now most were shakers but we landed probably 50 with 7 keepers on a day when many guys say its not worth your time.
    Now that being said I would rather fish in clean water and small tides and lighter wind and then we would of probably caught even more...,. but we still had a productive day.
    Regarding weights....we use primarily 12 and 16oz weights.Sometimes its not needed but I almost always have a 16oz torpedo on then I don't have to change it out moving from 10-25ft of water.
    Awesome i have cannonballs anywhere from 1oz up to 16oz in my collection. I will go again next weekend. I usually fish delta and rivers and never had an issue with sea sickness but I guess lack of sleep and being in 2-3’ swells hitting your boat every few seconds got to me (it got calmer around 9-10am).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

wow you got the sea sickness stuff bad :( Make sure you take it the night before and the morning of your trip).
    Regarding the tides:Fish when you can fish!The big tides and muddy water make for tough conditions but we catch fish anyways.Friday we had big minus tides,afternoon wind,muddy water and poor visibility etc....3 of us had the halibut jumping in the boat all day.Now most were shakers but we landed probably 50 with 7 keepers on a day when many guys say its not worth your time.
    Now that being said I would rather fish in clean water and small tides and lighter wind and then we would of probably caught even more...,. but we still had a productive day.
    Regarding weights....we use primarily 12 and 16oz weights.Sometimes its not needed but I almost always have a 16oz torpedo on then I don't have to change it out moving from 10-25ft of water.
    Last edited by MoMoney; 05-12-2019 at 02:32 PM.

5. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update**

Launched at 5:30AM trolled some areas around Alameda Rock Wall, tons of kayakers. Picked up a ton of weeds and kelp? 10-20’ of water. Got super sea sick being on the water until 8-9AM and left.

Might do better next time. Still learning and need to bring some motion sickness medicine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Will that mean crappy halibut fishing, wanted to take my daughter out for her birthday.
    The bite will be tougher. Best to get out early before the water starts to move a lot and the get's muddy from the tide movement. Troll against the tide so the bait will move slower across the bottom. Use a heavy enough ball to get the bait down to the bottom.

Or drift out with the tide when the water is moving fast.
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Will that mean crappy halibut fishing, wanted to take my daughter out for her birthday.
    I read somewhere that the bite is best during small tidal changes. You can also go out and soak some bait if you have no luck on halibut!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    Saturday morning is a big tide. It's going from a 6.8 to a minus tide. Lot of water moving. You might be moving 3 mph if you are going out with the tide.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday morning is a big tide. It's going from a 6.8 to a minus tide. Lot of water moving. You might be moving 3 mph if you are going out with the tide.

Thanks. May have to speed up or drift with the tide... Looks like it won’t change until 11AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

12. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes the more you troll the heavier the ball you will need. I use 10 ounce for a small dodger and bait. Add a hoochie and you might have to go to 12 ounces. Just make sure your hitting the bottom. Adjust troll speed to the tide and wind conditions.
    Thanks sounds good. My boat can troll down to 1-2mph easily so hopefully won’t need as crazy of a weight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast