Post Thanks / Like

Re: Knights Landing evening dip

Actually started using small circle hooks for the kids to catch shakers. Pile worm threaded works great and every fish gets hooked in the lip. Causes some tense moments when you hook a decent fish on a light wire #4 hook, but that’s what a drag is for.

I’ve also taken to making sardine balls (cut sardines wrapped in spawn netting). Put the hook through the edge of the netting and let it hang behind the hook. This avoids clogging the gap. Haven’t caught a lot of bigger fish that way but lots of smaller fish. Not sure if it’s coincidence or a real difference. Still tinkering with it.

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't tried circle hooks bait fishing for Stripers. I use 7/0 to 8/0 J-hooks which cuts down on the shakers and gut hooked fish. I have experimented with good results using small circle hooks while drifting minnows.

I'm sure you've already got Magic Thread, but you may want to try using Bait Buttons to help keep your hook exposed if needed. I think they're overpriced for what they are, but they do work.

https://www.baitbuttons.com/buy-now/big-game/
    12' Western Aluminum with a 15hp 4stroke

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishwrong has an excellent point here. Using circle hooks cuts down on catching (or even worse, GUT hooking ) smaller fish. It also sets you up for a great fight when the bigger fish take the bait because they are almost always hooked in the corner of the mouth.

I was on a halibut charter off of the Kenai peninsula three years ago. The six fisherfolk on board that day brought two sharks, two rock cod, and over 20 halibut to the boat. It was not until I was driving back to the lodge with several pounds of fillets in my cooler that I realized our deck hand had handled all of those fish - getting the hooks out before releasing or keeping them - without ever ONCE using a pair of pliers! We had been using circle hooks exclusively.

I came home from that trip resolved to learn how to fish with circle hooks and have NEVER been out-fished by boat mates that use the standard J-hook. In that time I have caught over 200 striped bass and only had one fish come to the boat gut hooked. Here is a link to a great article on fishing circle hooks by Jack Naves.
    http://www.bassjack.com/linked_files...04_sniffer.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Same rationale here. Evenings on the river tend to be quiet and more peaceful.

I’ve gone to using circle hooks almost exclusively. Works great for bigger fish and avoids gut-hooking the little guys. Only tricky part is keeping the gap on the hook open. Sometimes a sardine fillet will slide down, and the circle hook doesn’t work correctly. Also takes the trying to set the hook on shakers out of the equation. They’ll hook themselves, and I think it gives more time with a bait in the water waiting for bigger fish to come by. Drives the kids nuts though, seeing bites and dad telling them to let the fish take it.

Nice fish. Glad you got in on the fun.

7. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too hit the river Saturday evening, but I launched out of Verona. I prefer evenings on the weekend, you avoid most of the crowd.

I was also dealing with the annoying debris on my line. There’s a lot of shakers out there right now. Managed to put one keeper in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12' Western Aluminum with a 15hp 4stroke

9. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, fished upriver a few miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you launch at K L ?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Knights Landing evening dip

I wanted to get in a quick striper trip and with Mother’s Day tomorrow, that left an evening few hours after T-ball. Splashed at Knights Landing at 4:00, pulled out at 7:30.

Picked up three just legal keepers and a half dozen shakers on sardines. Nothing to write home about but fun and kids got to show off casting skills to grandpa. Daughter is 10 and can chuck a bait casting rig on her own, (picked her only birds nest without help). The boy is 5 and is “too old to leave the rod in the holder” fighting fish. I do need to get a couple more short butt rods as the Steelhead rod butts are too long for him, but pops is proud.

A lot of grass and leaves in the water and have to check baits every 15 minutes, but there are fish to be had, and an evening on the river is a nice time. Knights Landing ramp is in good shape and has an electronic pay station that’s new since I was last there. 72 degree says they’ll spawn with the next full moon and bug out soon. Get after them while they’re still here.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 05-11-2019 at 09:15 PM.

14. Likes KERPOW, salmonid, TBSP, Stickman, Paintguy liked this post