Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on assist hooks line

Lol not from the type of fish we have around here, but to each their own.

Those fancy assist hooks sure do look pretty

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Question on assist hooks line

Quote Originally Posted by nayr View Post
    I use ****ty light wire hooks that will bend out if they get snagged on bottom.
    They can do that out of the mouth of the very thing you want to reel in.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on assist hooks line

I use ****ty light wire hooks that will bend out if they get snagged on bottom.

5. Likes Jetspray, CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Question on assist hooks line

You might look at breakaway split rings too. I would imagine just a lighter line than your main will do, main thing is what you are targeting and how heavy it can get as well. If I do not loose gear every time I go out, I just don't think I am fishing hard enough......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Question on assist hooks line

Hi, newbie here, just started rock fishing off SantaCruz/Capitola last year. I bought few metal jigs for this season, and some came with treble hooks, which I don't like, and want to swap it to assist hooks. I was thinking to DIY some myself, but after some research, I see all the DIYer are suggesting to use 1.5mm kevlar cord to tie the assist hook, which is like 200lb. My question is, a metal jig is like $10~$15, so if today you accidentally got hooked on the bottom, you really just want to loss the hook, not the jig, then why use such heavy duty line on the hook? If my main/leader is 50lb, then shouldn't I be using something like 40lb on the assist hook? so I can break it off without lossing my jig? Or am I missing something?

Thanks ahead.

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post