Thread: trolling spoons

Post Thanks / Like

Re: trolling spoons

There are a couple of ways to look at this...

1. The spoons that are actually large wobblers like they use in the Columbia around Buoy 10 and in many parts of the Northwest. These are made to troll, mostly in heavier currents that accompany strong tidal changes. I never used these but I have no doubt that any method that catches fish in Oregon and Washington will produce here as well but the river conditions here would require a learning curve on how to fish them effectively.

2. Casting type spoons like the Kastmaster, Krocodile, Little Cleo, etc. These are primarily viewed as shore angler lures but they can also be used for jigging or trolling if someone takes the time to learn how to control depth and speed.

I used to fish wobbling plugs exclusively for chinook, then I switched to spinners....caught more on the plugs than the spinners, but the locations and type of fishing I did changed over the years and the spinners served me well. At some point, I ran across a guy who had just landed a limit using 1/2 oz chrome Wob-L-Rite spoons and the light bulb clicked in my head. After that, I experimented with a broad range of spoons and caught fish on Wob-L-Rite, Little Cleo and Kastmaster spoons....the Kastmaster in chrome and 1 oz size, outfished the others by 50:1 and that became my lure of choice altered only by replacing the treble with a 5/0 Gamakatsu Siwash hook and using sardine or anchovy scent. I caught a number of chinooks up to 25 lbs casting, jigging and trolling. The key to the trolling was to fish water with little or slow current in order for the spoon to wobble slowly and produce more flash. Running the spoon behind a large flasher and adjusting speed and weight to keep it close to the bottom seemed to be the best combination.

2. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Retired:

I've used Silvertron double silver bladed with pearl & green beads successfully in the Sac area for years. K14s with a sardine wrap work as well.

Regards,

Guy

4. Likes oldgeezer71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The large spin glo was another thing I was thinking about trying I am retired and have time to try different things I caught a salmon last fall running a homemade spoon That's what started me thinking about trying spoons this fall again Thanks for the input

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the replies above. I wouldn’t spend my time at it, but I’m sure someone could catch some fish doing it. I have seen guys fishing spoons in tidewaters. Used to use Kastmasters on the Klamath spit and have seen it on the Smith. Read about it on the Rogue and Tillamook Bay.

It would be fun to be retired with enough time to spend playing with different techniques. I’d bet a guy could find plenty of new or offbeat things that work (last day dream was plunking a big spin-n-glow with roe around Verona). Unfortunately with limited time available most of us stick with stuff we know will work.

Good luck if you find something new you want to try.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 05-15-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    Here’s my take on river salmon:Spoons work great for ocean salmon because the fish are actively feeding, and the spoon resembles bait fish. Once salmon enter fresh water, their metabolism changes greatly, and basically stop eating. Salmon in fresh water will hit a flatfish or spinner that is rattling and flashing in front of them simply to get it out of the way rather than expending energy to go around it. Spoons typically have much less action and are not loud and obnoxious, thus are much less likely to draw an “anger” strike from a salmon in fresh water.
    Used to think the same thing, then guys started hammering fish on Brads Cut Plugs. I think it’s just an instinct bite when it comes to feed imitations in fresh water. That said, I’d be pulling a Kwikfish or spinner these days if I were trolling the Sac.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

8. Likes AnglingWes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s my take on river salmon:

Spoons work great for ocean salmon because the fish are actively feeding, and the spoon resembles bait fish. Once salmon enter fresh water, their metabolism changes greatly, and basically stop eating.

Salmon in fresh water will hit a flatfish or spinner that is rattling and flashing in front of them simply to get it out of the way rather than expending energy to go around it. Spoons typically have much less action and are not loud and obnoxious, thus are much less likely to draw an “anger” strike from a salmon in fresh water.

10. Likes RideNfish, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

trolling spoons

Don't know if this has been ask before but has anyone ever trolled spoons for salmon in the Sac and what type of spoons would you use.