Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trolling for trout

A problem many have when first switching over to braid is the belief that if one used 10lb mono, one should then buy/use 10lb braid. People don't realize or forget that 10lb braid is the diameter of 2lb mono. So how braid acts on a reel, acts in water and acts in a downrigger clip will be different than the mono they are familiar with.

After trying many different sizes of braid in a variety of conditions and techniques, in my opinion, 30lb braid is probably the best size for trout anglers who want it on a bait casting reel for trolling. Small diameter but holds good in a downrigger clip, has more body than smaller test lines and can take a bit more abuse (downrigger clips, debris, structure, etc) without breaking than smaller lines due to its slightly larger diameter. Plus, it's a little easier to see for the older guys when tying leaders on.

Braid is a great tool to use, just need to understand how it can work for you.

2. Likes Jetspray, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I spooled 4 rigs with a light braid about a month ago and just switched back to the mono. One problem was that line was too thin for the downrigger clips and it would release with the smallest amount of pressure.....it's just different to work with after fishing for years with the old fashioned stuff.

4. Likes Stickman, Jetspray, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never had good luck using braid, while trying to clip it to the downrigger clip. It always slipped. Not a big expense to change out to all mono.
    Last edited by firetrout; 05-16-2019 at 07:57 AM.

6. Likes Mr Ed, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

​Definitely use the electrical tape. I tie the braid on the spool first, then add about 4" of electrical tape over the braid and wind it on with the reel handle. Either way works.

Also wind the braid onto the reel under pressure or it may dig into itself on the reel.

I use Power Pro 20lb and a 15 yard top shot of 15lb.
    Seaguar InvisX fluorocarbon tied with a double uni knot. Depending on the type of fishing, you may want to go lighter.

Catch ya later ... hooks

8. Likes Stickman, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are using braid as your backing, either spool on 20-30 of mono first or wrap the spool a few times with electrical tape before tying on the braid. Both ways provide bite for the braid to hold on to the spool. If you tie braid directly to the spool without doing the above, the braid will most likely slip and spin on the spool, acting like your drag is malfunctioning.

Add a top shot/leader of your favorite mono/fluoro and you are good.

10. Likes Stickman, Jetspray, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tie my mainline super braid to a Spro swivel then to the mono leader, never longer than the rod. Always make sure your counter is set to zero by the lure in the water first, reset every time. As far as lures, depths, speed, it all depends on the day as you know. I have a handheld GPS as well as a depth finder GPS and use those for speed. Since I have a panther control for my T-8 I can move around and if I am sitting in the steering wheel area I have a ski mirror mounted to see forward while I sit there, avoids collisions, and I can watch the FF easier under the cover. When trout fishing with DR's I use shuttle hawks so I don't have to bring up the DR ball every time, and retrievers on the DR line. Have fun either way......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

12. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trolling for trout

Hello
    i am buying 2 line counter reels this weekend this came across to me

spool up with braided line and the last part with monofilament

for me this would be new this way

i always done all monofilament

I troll for trout and some koks depending temps I use downriggers can I ask for some input in this matter

Thank you

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12