Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing forums a thing of the past??

30 Years ago, I was sharing fishing info via IRC. A few years later, it was chat rooms. Then, forums were the standard. In the last decade, social media platforms have become the one stop shop. Its just a natural progression of technology. Some folks decide to step off the progression train, while others are just boarding. Its not a bad thing.

2. Likes SteelyMan, Jetspray, redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect Doc is just tired of running and paying for a West Coast based forum when his interest are Florida retirement and Florida fishing. Originally, he did it because he's a great guy and wanted to give the ex-Hookers a place to go when their forum failed after an upgrade attempt.

Once again he has given those that are finnadicts.us members a viable alternative by creating the Facebook page. If you don't want to join Facebook to continue your friendships with other members then that's your choice. I left Finnadicts a few months ago after a user ripped me for something he had no clue about. I just didn't think it was worth being upset about so I quit.

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    Facebook and social media in general has certainly had a huge impact on not only forums but also on fishing. But lets not forget it wasnt too many years ago many of the same complaints were being levied Against fishing forums, like the Sniffer. People were accusing posters of blowing up spots and ruining fishing for posting reports on forums and sharing too much information. And Im fairly certain when they started printing weekly fishing reports in the local newspaper and Sep and Bob Sims started their radio shows people were saying the exact same things. While the platforms change the complaints remain the same.

Yes RNP however the forms of media in the past did not have far reaching consequences to all of the commerce in the country. They also were unable to stifle "free speech" or other sections of the first amendment of the constitution as it has stood for almost 300 years. The "platforms" are being controlled by these forms of media with little regard to the outcome. I think some need to look back a little at history to see what yellow journalism did and who controlled what to see that this is not a new issue....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

6. Likes dennis l liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As Merle would say; "like a snowball rolling downhill....."

8. Likes Jetspray, bigfin, redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    Facebook and social media in general has certainly had a huge impact on not only forums but also on fishing. But lets not forget it wasnt too many years ago many of the same complaints were being levied Against fishing forums, like the Sniffer. People were accusing posters of blowing up spots and ruining fishing for posting reports on forums and sharing too much information. And Im fairly certain when they started printing weekly fishing reports in the local newspaper and Sep and Bob Sims started their radio shows people were saying the exact same things. While the platforms change the complaints remain the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True but back then it took days or weeks, now it's up to the minute.

10. Likes fishrman4life1957, Jetspray liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Likes BigUnInDaBoat, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup wastebook is a horrible addiction I see it in action just about every room I walk into. Never had a account and never will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

14. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray, zipperman, MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfin View Post
    Yep never forget what a fellow sniffer said about FB he called it WasteBook . I've never had it and never will . While I do enjoy posting about trips on the sniffer its just better for you and the fish to have less pressure . It's easier to PM your friends or better yet just go fishing with them . I have gleaned lots of good info from fellow sniffers and I hope it never ever goes away again . I consider this site and these forums somewhat sacred , although my wife would tell you otherwise ! Tightlines BF
    +1 bigfin. I have fished with fellas that have their smartphones on all the time, and carry them all the time, and text on them all the time, and look at pictures or want you to look at them all the time. WasteBook is a good name for it in my opinion, my wife is on it all the time as well. My phone is in a Blockit Pocket and turned off most of the time, I have to unplug it in my computer room, turn it on, to call my sister in Colorado or any other long distance call. I pay the bill, but just do not use it that much....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

16. Likes bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Fishing forums a thing of the past??

I hope this forum won't become a thing of the past. Have'nt been able to fish much the past couple years. It's great to read about fishing trips,some funny, some safety info. access to different areas. The twin tunnel info. this site reports on regularly. Ocean and Bay info. anyway hope it stays around!

18. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Not completely gone, but the other shoe may drop at anytime though .

Here's my take...lots of fishermen aren't/weren't sharing their trips on the (given) forum but they do/did email or pm their buddies.

Then facebook came about and they now they share their outings with their buddies to keep their "honey holes" private.

Perfect example is when someone posted a week or two ago that the Kokes bite at Melones were red hot. Then that Saturday everyone and their brothers were out trolling.

Now to keep the traffic at a minimum, the ones on facebooks share these info with each other.

As for me, I normally share my ocean trips on an open forum. Ocean fish moves around and the ocean is big enough that it can accept the U.S. Navy and still have room to spare.

However, I do occasionally get an email or pm with reports. I don't share those because I am/was asked not to.I more than likely not sign

up for facebook but that's just me.

Tight lines guys and gals .
    Yep never forget what a fellow sniffer said about FB he called it WasteBook . I've never had it and never will . While I do enjoy posting about trips on the sniffer its just better for you and the fish to have less pressure . It's easier to PM your friends or better yet just go fishing with them . I have gleaned lots of good info from fellow sniffers and I hope it never ever goes away again . I consider this site and these forums somewhat sacred , although my wife would tell you otherwise ! Tightlines BF

20. Likes Jetspray, CAL.NDN liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast