Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drop Shot rod delimma

Thanks that is very helpful. I was wondering about those E6 rods. It is just tough to evaluate a rod just my holding it in a store.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drop Shot rod delimma

John, here's what I use along with 2 other Buddys. GLoomis E6X 820S DSR 6'-10" Mag Light, Extra Fast, 4-10 lb., 1/8-3/8 oz. The rod is not that expensive, very light and sensitive and has handled everything for us to date. May not be in your league but we really like it. Whalonem

Post Thanks / Like

Drop Shot rod delimma

I have started doing a lot more drop shot fishing in the last 5 years than I used to do. I have tried a few different rods and settled on a Shimano Cumara medium as my favorite for fishing in 25' or shallower and using up to 3/16 ounce weights. This represents more than half of my drop shot fishing. I broke the Cumara and cannot find one anywhere yet. They are no longer in production but I still do searches occasionally. I now use my Crucial in the same weight rating about half the time. I also use a Crucial that is rated MH some. I purchased a Dobyns Champion 702 based on a recommendations by others and I like it a lot for winter fishing when fish are deeper and it will handle slightly heavier lures. I do not like the exposed threads ahead of the reel seat and use a baseball bat wrap to cover those threads. I have looked at the Cody Meyer drop shot rod and it feels OK but not great. I have also looked at rods by Phenix and St Croix as well as a couple of others. Friends tell me that until I buy a Loomis NRX I Will not be happy. I really don't want to spend over $500 for a dropshot rod. I was thinking closer to $300.
    So here is what I think I want. I want it to be lighter in weight than either the Crucial MH or the Dobyns 702. I want it to be more sensitive than my Crucial medium. Weight is a huge issue for me and others tell me I want a rod that is too light to land 5 pound bass. Not true I have landed fish well 5 pounds with the Cumara as well as the Crucial with a weight rating of 10 pound line and 3/8 ounce lures. I don't fish Clearlake or the delta much and my MH Crucial or Dobyns 702 with do fine there. I need a really light weight rod for Oroville, Bullards and Collins. I have not tried the Expride line yet. One issue with buying new rods is you really don't know how well you will like them until you land a few fish on them. Holding them in the store will only tell me about 1/2 of what I want to know.

With all that being said what do you guys like in a light weight drop shot rod??
    Last edited by Grncrestliner; 05-25-2019 at 08:43 AM.