Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tomales Bay Tips for a Kayaker

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread
    Last edited by adalah; 07-05-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

20 seconds should of been more then enough time. Using live mac's that size on Bluefin, I ass hook it with a circle hook,, when the line starts running out count to 8, click, no set, let the rod load up and reel. You bait may have been a little big for the fish that bit and you pulled it from him, that's fishing. Switch to circles and let'em eat if you want to change it up,,,gregg

3. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a stinger hook around the tail, it does not kill the fish movement at all. I always use one when chasing butts
    dont take life to serious, let go and smile to see what your missing out on

5. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be using a stinger hook whenever you can, especially if your after halibut. If the bait is too small/fragile to take a stinger then what u did last time is about all u can do. Pull out a few feet of line, wait for the rod to load up and hope it got the hook.

Your best bet at the smaller shiner perch is to work around the kelp, but smelt are always the most abundant bait i can find in tomales using sabikis
    Last edited by nayr; 06-05-2019 at 05:04 AM.

7. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tomales Bay Tips for a Kayaker

I was out there this past weekend on my kayak. Missed a huge fish. I was drifting a big smelt, probably 8 inches with a sliding sinker rig. When I felt the fish take the bait, I fed it as much line as possible. I was using a single 2/0 octopus hook, nose hooked bait. I reeled in very slowly to feel tension and I could feel the weight of the fish after about 20 seconds of feeding it line so I set the hook. Missed the fish of course. When I pulled up the bait I saw teeth marks from the tail of the bait almost to the hook.

A few guys recommended smaller bait or stingers. But I like my bait as lively as possible. I also had trouble catching small bait.

Anyone can share some tips on catching good bait in Tomales? Special rigs? What kind of hooks do you guys use?

Thanks,

-Tommy

9. Likes Paintguy liked this post