Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: scotty 1106 or Cannon Mag 10 STX

Nice choice, I've had two 1101s for about two years. I've only used them a few times but they've worked great and I've caught rainbows, a brown, kokanee, crappie, spots, largemouth, and smallmouth off Chamberlain releases on them. Hopefully you got them cheaper, I think mine were about $42x out the door back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I took the groups advice and picked up two 1101 Scottys

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You only need the 1106 if you are running four down riggers. Two fixed booms and two extended booms.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon-ella View Post
    ...Is the extenable boom woth the additional 50-75 dollars?
    The only time I extended my boom was to clear the two rear downriggers when they were used by guests. But other than that I did not extend the two outboard downriggers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the replies. Its clear that Scotty is probably my best bet. Now I need to contemplate the difference between the 1101 and the 1106. Is the extenable boom woth the additional 50-75 dollars?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    What Seon said is spot on.

Another feature Cannon has on some is bottom track. Can be useful when you want to keep your bait at a specific distance from the bottom.

Ultimately, it all gets down to what you want them to do and how much you want to spend.

I've had the same Scotty Downriggers for 19 years and have not had any issues. Would buy them again

19 Years without issues says a lot in anyone's book.

I have not had any issues with my current electric Scotty's, but have only had them for about a year. I look forward to at least another 18 years. LOL.

My previous boat had manual Scotty's. One of the line counters went kind of goofy. I called Scotty to see about ordering a replacement and they sent me two for free. Pretty good product support.

8. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    ...If you are going to stack lines...
    I just my sold two of my four Scotty to a friend because I had it with "guest" who claimed they knew how to use downriggers then ended up snapping the wire or not clipping the ball properly then dropping the balls in the drink. I go out to enjoy the day of fishing not having to re-rig the lines or hooking on another 15# ball.
    So in the future when "guest" fishes with me, then they'll either use divers or ball releases. No stacking for me.
    Last edited by Seon; 06-01-2019 at 03:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What Seon said is spot on.

Another feature Cannon has on some is bottom track. Can be useful when you want to keep your bait at a specific distance from the bottom.

Ultimately, it all gets down to what you want them to do and how much you want to spend.

I've had the same Scotty Downriggers for 19 years and have not had any issues. Would buy them again

Post Thanks / Like

I outfitted my new boat with my old Scotty 1106 from the old boat. I like the lower profile as you can reach over it easier if you need to. The Cannon has the rod holder mounted at the rear of the unit. So it intrudes into your boat space. More things to bump into.

I like the clutch / brake system when releasing the ball to a desired depth. If you are going to stack lines get the 1116 with two rod holders. I do not stack lines, it's easier to run four down riggers instead of two and stack lines.

I've seen videos on You Tube and it seems like most of the charter guides like the Cannon instead of the Scotty.

Think the price on a Cannon is a tad more, about $30, so it's really a matter a preference.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

12. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: scotty 1106 or Cannon Mag 10 STX

I have been using Mag 10's for a long time with line retrievers and shuttle hawks. I replaced all of my electical wires and hookups with better wire and waterproof connectors to get rid of the Mag 10's setups and never looked back. That was 11 years ago. If you keep the same depth with the DR weights and use the hawks it is easy to retrieve the hawks and re-set to drop in, not constantly raising and dropping every time......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast