Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tahoe Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tahoe Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Seebass View Post
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...fish-found-in/ Are they going to get rid of these as well?
    I personally haven't seen one in about 6 years or so. Before then it was common to catch 3 - 4 ponders on a small white crappie jig.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...fish-found-in/ Are they going to get rid of these as well?

3. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    I should have put that differently. Came across as an inaccurate criticism of folks just doing their job. Those folks put a lot of research, effort and review into those programs. There is constant uneducated (in my opinion) griping that occurs about most of them in one way or another. Having a keyboard and an opinion doesn’t make critics right. It’s a pet peeve.

It shouldn’t be a problem asking questions on a forum.

My bad
    I hear you. Thank you for clarifying.

I don't have any sort of jaundiced eye toward the people working on eradicating the bass....but I kind of do, on a gut level, toward the viability of the mission. Even with a total "scorched earth" approach like they took at Davis Lake, it took two (at least) tries to eliminate the Northern Pike...and that involved lowering the lake as much as possible and killing everything that lived in it. Not only is Tahoe much larger, they obviously cannot undertake either of those approaches there. Yes, I am not well informed on the details of what is going on with bass in Tahoe, but just on sort of an intuitive/common sense level, it seems to me like it would be difficult or impossible to succeed.

It is sort of like the invasive pythons in Florida. I know a great deal about snakes and their behavior, and I know damn well the genie is out of the bottle there. They will never be able to eradicate them, at least not without undertaking drastic measures in which the cure would be far worse than the disease.

These issues with invasive species are obviously major problems, and I hope it turns out I am wrong, but I don't think I am.
    Last edited by Owlman2; 07-09-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have put that differently. Came across as an inaccurate criticism of folks just doing their job. Those folks put a lot of research, effort and review into those programs. There is constant uneducated (in my opinion) griping that occurs about most of them in one way or another. Having a keyboard and an opinion doesn’t make critics right. It’s a pet peeve.

It shouldn’t be a problem asking questions on a forum.

My bad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Take a drive to Tahoe City and check it out. Yes there’s a dam.

I get questioning the effectiveness of fish eradication strategies, but I’d sure hate to do it little to no knowledge of the situation. The benefit of the doubt used to be a thing....
    That's why I asked. But you're right, driving to Tahoe City would have been more efficient than asking a simple question. I have other questions...just need to figure out where to drive to get answers.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a drive to Tahoe City and check it out. Yes there’s a dam.

I get questioning the effectiveness of fish eradication strategies, but I’d sure hate to do it little to no knowledge of the situation. The benefit of the doubt used to be a thing....

Post Thanks / Like

Until this thread, I didn't even know there were bass in Tahoe.

Are they smallmouth that spread from the Prosser Creek Reservoir/Truckee River population? I ask because....unless they are eradicated from the Truckee River....what's the point of trying to kill them in Tahoe?

Or is there a barrier that prevents fish in the Truckee from entering Lake Tahoe?
    Last edited by Owlman2; 07-09-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    Since when does electroshocking kill the fish
    When they throw them in the trash while still stunned that's what kills them.
    They wiped out the area where my job was at but they haven't made it to my Aunt and Uncles yet I saw some big ones on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Since when does electroshocking kill the fish

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they've been shocking it around the clock. The poor osprey's are gonna starve....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast