Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tahoe Tagged Rainbow

I wonder if the brookies bed in the same places as the Mackinaw? I cant remember catching brookies from a lake where I have caught Mackinaw, but really thats only Tahoe, Silver and Caples for me.

Fun to hear other people have also been seeing silversides for decades. Its a real thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    I fished Tahoe until the launch fees went up and they added an extra fee to me for having a
    live well in my boat..................

Lots of lakes in the area that let me launch for $15, $5 dollars or even FREE..........
    for the same size and type of fish.

Silver sides are sort of slick, though.

Same for me. I started typing a rant about it and deleted it because the vein on my forehead started throbbing....lol
    Catch ya later ... hooks

3. Likes Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished Tahoe until the launch fees went up and they added an extra fee to me for having a
    live well in my boat..................

Lots of lakes in the area that let me launch for $15, $5 dollars or even FREE..........
    for the same size and type of fish.

Silver sides are sort of slick, though.

5. Likes Jetspray, hooks, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    Those same silversides used to be in Fallen Leaf with great numbers. But since the USFW has this pipe dream to bring back cutts they have successfully killed 90% or more of the bows and browns. As of last week they didn't have the weirs up so they must feel confident that they killed them. But they didn't even address the macs that plague that lake. Another once great fishing lake that got absolutely ruined by people who don't even fish here.
    On another note I've been seeing them spawn behind my house this last week. With 3 straight years with good water for spawning and growing there should be some good fishing for the years to come.
    Last year my one trout fishing expedition was at Fallen Leaf. What a rat fest of emaciated little pilot peak cutts. Damn near every one we hooked and landed was snake like in appearance. Mack food for sure.

7. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We caught many silversides back in the '80s & early '90s on the west shore near the Tavern Pier and Tavern Hole. Some times in the flats out in front of the Lake Forest Ramp. Not tagged though. Glad to see they are still there.

One thing though that has always puzzled me is that I've never caught a Brookie in Lake Tahoe? Some of the streams that dump into Tahoe were loaded with them.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

9. Likes Paintguy, Mr Ed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those same silversides used to be in Fallen Leaf with great numbers. But since the USFW has this pipe dream to bring back cutts they have successfully killed 90% or more of the bows and browns. As of last week they didn't have the weirs up so they must feel confident that they killed them. But they didn't even address the macs that plague that lake. Another once great fishing lake that got absolutely ruined by people who don't even fish here.
    On another note I've been seeing them spawn behind my house this last week. With 3 straight years with good water for spawning and growing there should be some good fishing for the years to come.

11. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tahoe Tagged Rainbow

This is pretty fun. I caught a tagged rainbow a couple of days ago a mile or so north of Emerald Bay. Definitely west shore. The fish had a white Nevada Department of Wildlife tag....and so I called.

The trout was nearing 2 years old and just over 1 pound. The eggs had been collected from a hen in Incline Creek. NDOW is collecting wild trout eggs, growing the fish for 8 months, then releasing them with tags. A total of 2000 fish per year are released at Cave Rock

That fish then swam to west shore. I have no idea how thats possible. How does a baby rainbow make it through the huge shoals of Mackinaw??

Okay, those are all facts, now the fun speculation.
    The trout is what we call a Tahoe silverside. We definitely catch rainbows with a dark color pattern and then rainbows that look distinctly silver. This was one of those. The biologist said that that is absolutely true....there are truly Tahoe silversides and those fish may be remnants of Steelhead plants that had been done. OR it could also just be a rainbow that spends most of its time schooled up and exposed to sun as opposed to hiding under rocks.

But, according to the NDOW biologist, the Tahoe silverside is a real thing!!! Thats pretty fun and confirms what we see on the lake!

TahoeBoatingFun and thats dot com!

13. Likes OYD12, MKE, Paintguy liked this post