Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speaking of Downriggers...

Thanks. I have some of those clips. So, good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    OK,
    I think I may want to give this a try, but want to make sure I got it right. Thanks

(Sorry if Im causing this thread subject to stray a little).

You are correct and you're still in the subject matter zone .

Just attach your snap...

This one of these clip

And attach that clip to your Scotty snubber or main line anywhere above your weight but below your weight retriever.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

3. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, Im still kind of trying to wrap my head around this. Im using the smaller Scotty releases. They are on an 18 wire that clips to the back of my DR weight. I also currently use the Scotty DR retrievers like the ones in Seons first picture. So, I have my stops set so that when I pull the retrievers in the DR weights are clear of the water and hanging there just right outboard of the boat. I then am able to grab the 18 release wire and attach my rods line to the release. Works OK, but not super OK if you know what I mean.

What I think Im understanding is you all have your Release Clips attached on the DR line some distance above the DR weight and have it set it up so that the DR weight stays in the water while you access the release clip. I can see how keeping the weight in the water so it isnt swinging around would be better.

I think I may want to give this a try, but want to make sure I got it right. Thanks

(Sorry if Im causing this thread subject to stray a little).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RJ.fish.golf View Post
    I don't understand where this cord starts and stops. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    One end is attached to my main downrigger braid.

IMG_1503.jpg

The other end is attached to a Scotty snubber.

IMG_1505.jpg

Salmon has been deep lately so I'll be using 20# commerical cannon ball weights. To play safe, I made paracord "stop" just in case the snubber breaks under 20# shock load.

IMG_1507.jpg

The paracord's overall length is 7'.

Hope this answers your question.

BTW...Sorry but know why the pictures are sideways .
    Last edited by Seon; 06-07-2019 at 08:17 AM.

6. Likes Paintguy, Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    I bought a set of those for my Scotty's but then realized it was just as easy to lift the arm so I never installed them.
    Easy to lift in a lake but not too easy on the Ocean with swells and moderately medium wind 😜

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a set of those for my Scotty's but then realized it was just as easy to lift the arm so I never installed them. I just gave them away at the Pyramid mini fest.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you that wonder how I attached my paracord I actually made a loop from a 24 inch piece of paracord. I then attached the loops to a couple of downrigger balls and I connect the swivel snap from the cable to the loop on the ball. Those weights could be used on any downrigger since the paracord stays on the ball all of the time. With longer lines to my release clips I really don't have to pull the ball out of the water to clip my lines in.

10. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    I have 3 electric Cannon downriggers. 2 Have long extenable booms and one is very short. I actually use the short arm one a lot. I found that when it stops at the surface it would swing into the side of my boat. I added about 12" of para cord to the end of my cable and now the ball stays in the water so it doesn't swing around. Works great and of course grabbing the para cord to bring the ball in is way easier on your hands than the steel cable.
    For those of you that might not be familiar with Cannon the automatic stop works as soon as the steel cable clears the surface. With the paracord that leaves my ball 12" deep so it doesn't swing in the water as easily.
    It is why I like the shuttle hawks, keeps me from having to run my DR wire up and down so much. Just a little effort to retrieve the wire, attach the fishing line to the shuttle hawk and let it go back down as I let the wire go out again. I can then just put the pole in the holder and tighten up the slack on the fishing line when it has found the bottom of the wire......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

12. Likes Paintguy, burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RJ.fish.golf View Post
    I don't understand where this cord starts and stops. Thanks.

The idea for a retriever is to be able to hang something on the DR cord or wire and be able to pull it back to the boat and attach the fishing line again to what you use to hold it on the DR and send it back down to the depth. The retriever just works with the DR line to pull it back to the boat. It takes a little getting use to but it works.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

14. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 electric Cannon downriggers. 2 Have long extenable booms and one is very short. I actually use the short arm one a lot. I found that when it stops at the surface it would swing into the side of my boat. I added about 12" of para cord to the end of my cable and now the ball stays in the water so it doesn't swing around. Works great and of course grabbing the para cord to bring the ball in is way easier on your hands than the steel cable.
    For those of you that might not be familiar with Cannon the automatic stop works as soon as the steel cable clears the surface. With the paracord that leaves my ball 12" deep so it doesn't swing in the water as easily.

16. Likes Jetspray, Paintguy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast