Post Thanks / Like

Re: Towing travel trailer to Tahoe with F150

I tow my 24’ with my V6 Expedition (390 HP 470ft/lbs) It’s rated to 9500lbs. No issues with a good brake controller. The truck has a tow mode that allows the twin turbos to act as a Jake break. Helps a ton on reducing heat in brakes on rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by burninfuel View Post
    Run what you got.
    Gearing from dealers can change with the local area.
    Auburn dealers run lower rations because of all the hills and valleys.
    Flatlander areas have hi ratios and are for flat cruising, but don't pull trailers up mountain grades.
    I drive Hwy 50 all the time and doesn't seem bad, just the slow speed twin bridges ares and the slow speed "S" turns
    3:55 gears,,,, Might put some air bags on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn off your over drive, sometimes I forget about it. Big difference towing with the 250 ride wise, bumpidy bump bump

4. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Run what you got.
    Gearing from dealers can change with the local area.
    Auburn dealers run lower rations because of all the hills and valleys.
    Flatlander areas have hi ratios and are for flat cruising, but don't pull trailers up mountain grades.
    I drive Hwy 50 all the time and doesn't seem bad, just the slow speed twin bridges ares and the slow speed "S" turns

Post Thanks / Like

2006 with 82,000 miles on it . I bought it new and have had dealer maintenance done regularly. My trailer is 22ft with dry weight of 4600lbs,,,,,,,, Been thinking of selling and getting a F250 Diesel too.

Post Thanks / Like

What year?
    How many miles on the truck?
    Is it a trailer tow special?

I owned a 2004 F150 trailer tow special until a year ago. It was rated to tow around 9000 pounds. I purchased it new. I towed a 21 ft travel trailer to Idaho many times as well as other locations. I never went to Tahoe but up over Donner a lot. My trailer dry weight is 4500 and I always figured about 6000 when loaded. I had a good brake controller and of course the truck had disc brakes. I usually had a quad in the back of the truck that added 650 pounds to the overall load. I never had any issues while towing but I was careful about overheating my brakes and would stop if I had to. I had more problems on 49 up around Downieville than I ever had on 80. I didn't feel underpowered with the low gear ratio I was just concerned with overall load and braking.

I don't think anyone can promise you that you will not have to be careful or that you won't have some issues I can only tell you I never had any problems other than the trailer brakes getting hot.

I recently purchased an F250 because I went to a larger quad and my wife won't let me downsize my trailer. The F250 is way better for towing when you get in the mountains. The downside is the ride is rough unless you are loaded.

Post Thanks / Like

Towing travel trailer to Tahoe with F150

So i have a F 150 with 5.4 V 8, 4x4. Trailer about 5500-6000lbs
    Have towed to coast many times and it does fine but would like to head to Tahoe , any of you have first hand experiance with a F 150
    towing camp tariler to Tahoe and how did it handle the grade and altitude.

Thanks