Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sinker release help

Thanks fellow sniffers on the responses and the helpful tips. Im counting the days till Im able to make it out on the water again. Sounds like I need to use my down riggers for deeper depths. Hoping to get out again at the end of the month or early July. Good luck out there and if you guys see Salty Dawg say whats up 🤙🏻

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBoardfox View Post
    ... 2.5lb ball probably effective to about 65-70ft depending on line, dodgers, speed, etc.
    DB

Not having used quick release balls, how many pulls to drop 65'-70'.

Reason I ask is because I eliminated two of my four downriggers so any guest trolling will have to use the quick release or deep divers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abanuelos86 View Post
    10-4 on the line counter reels. So a 2-1/2lb ball can be trolled up to 90 feet down effectively?
    No I run down riggers as well. I should have stated that is my normal fish catching range. Run downriggers off the rail and if there is a 3rd in the boat sinker release off the transom. 2.5lb ball probably effective to about 65-70ft depending on line, dodgers, speed, etc.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like

we fish both downriggers and lead when we have three onboard our boat. There are definitely days when the ball rod outfishes the downriggers.

At the risk of restating what may be obvious to some, there are a bunch of factors that will determine how deep you are getting. Speed, terminal tackle (flasher/dodger vs straight bait), current and line diameter are key factors. 30#-40# braid will make a huge difference compared to 25# mono. Party Boats routinely troll at 3+ mph, and even with braid, you will see blowback resulting in 45 degree line angles.

Long-winded way of getting back to your original question. When initially setting lines, we fish 40# spectra, i start with an assumption of about 1.5' back for each 1' of depth; i.e. 75' back, 50' deep. If you are bucking a particularly strong current you will see the angle of your lines flatten out and may need to increase to a 2:1 calculation. With spectra you can reasonably expect to fish 50' deep with a 2.5# ball before you start to get so much line out that you begin to risk tangles on your boat or with others. I would grab some 3's and 4's and run spectra and low drag flashers if you want to try and get down significantly deeper rather than trying to troll 150-200' behind the boat.

Don't be afraid to experiment on slow, calm days, particularly if you are fishing shallow near the Marin or Bodega beaches where you have a sand/mud bottom. On a controlled descent, drop the ball until you feel it thump bottom and continue to slow release line while trolling until you feel it occasionally dragging on the bottom. This will give you a starting point on your boat for dropback distances and running depth.

And i echo the prior post about the value of line counter reels, particularly when using spectra. A full day of trolling a 3# ball on 30# spectra counting 60-70 "pulls" will shred your fingers in no time. With a line counter reel you will have far greater consistency from drop to drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abanuelos86 View Post
    10-4 on the line counter reels. So a 2-1/2lb ball can be trolled up to 90 feet down effectively?
    Just a guess but I doubt that a 2-1/2# ball would not get down 90' while trolling .

Post Thanks / Like

A line counter reel only tells you how much line you have out.
    As stated they're great for being consistent with the amount of line out but they aren't giving you depth due to blowback if trolling.
    They would only let you know the depth if you're drifting or sitting still.

A depth gauge attached close to your weight like the FishHawk TD would give you the answer to your depth question.

It will also give you the water temperature in 5' increments.

I would suggest get proficient using the downriggers for depth and using line counter reels for consistent setbacks.

Mike
    Last edited by TrackerDV17; 06-03-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBoardfox View Post
    I have never used anything larger than 2.5lb. Sometimes I even use 2lb. Get a reel with a line counter for trolling to keep your depth consistent. I have caught fish anywhere from 10 ft to 90 ft on the counter. Good luck. Saw the party boats are back on them today.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used anything larger than 2.5lb. Sometimes I even use 2lb. Get a reel with a line counter for trolling to keep your depth consistent. I have caught fish anywhere from 10 ft to 90 ft on the counter. Good luck. Saw the party boats are back on them today.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like

When I was on a party boat they had us drop the 2-1/2# ball 25-30 pulls.

Post Thanks / Like

Sinker release advice

Hello fellow sniffers. So I was currently fishing for salmon outside the golden gate using 2-1/2 lead balls on a sinker release setup. And my question is how deep could you fish with these weights trolling before having to step up to a heavier weight? Looking for some general advice on amount of weight to feet ratio I should be sticking at. I do have downriggers as well but prefer the sinker release while Im still learning. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall
    Last edited by Abanuelos86; 06-03-2019 at 11:46 AM.