Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to go to New Hogan yet?

Yea it's an early morning deal..Lake lice show up by 10 and it's best to be on the trailer by then...it's been a few years since I've had much luck finding boils but hot weather and overcast or cloudy skies seemed to be a good combination..we've done well fishing at night under lights by the dam last couple years..3-4 years ago the lake was super low and all the bait and strips were condensed the boils were a daily thing...soo much fun chasing boils around the lake 30-40 fish days were the norm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Manley View Post
    I find that the lake lice stirs up the bait and gets the fish more active

bro you ever had them zoom by a boil you were working? Buh Bye, it puts them down. Look on youtube where guys try to approach the boils and don't cut far enough out, buh bye. I've never had good luck there with lots of boat traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Yup the hot weather spurs the shad to school up and start getting busted. Everything is late this year. One thing that sucks about hogan is the lake lice. Couple hours in the morning.
    I find that the lake lice stirs up the bait and gets the fish more active

4. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

... Couple hours in the morning.
    Yup then the Sun starts beating on you. O-dark thirty then by 10 am, it's time to head for the barn.

BTW I live 14 miles door to launch ramp but very seldom fish Hogan because, as mentioned, it's a hit or miss but mostly miss.
    I'd rather fish a lake, delta, SF bay or ocean where you'll at lease have a hit or two .
    Last edited by Seon; 07-17-2019 at 06:29 AM.

6. Likes BigUnInDaBoat, kickinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been going to hogan every summer for pretty much my entire life. I never really fished it, but always respected the fisherman. Stayed clear of them, went slow when passing, slow in coves, and respected the 5MPH no wake zones. And for the most part, it seemed everyone else did too. The last 2-3 years have been terrible though. Literally had to be in the water holding my ski boat at times, because people were tearing up the 5mph zone. Last month when I was there it was almost like it didnt even exist. You know its bad when the shorline starts cheering when the sherrif comes in a nabs someone. Need more sherrif presence there, it has really died off the past few years.

8. Likes zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just George View Post
    Are there not slow zones where the Lice don't like to go? I've not fished New Hogan yet but seems to be a good fishery.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there are a lot of responsible personal watercraft users that obey the rules. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot more of them that don't give a Rats Ass about speed limits, no wake zones...
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup the hot weather spurs the shad to school up and start getting busted. Everything is late this year. One thing that sucks about hogan is the lake lice. Couple hours in the morning.
    Are there not slow zones where the Lice don't like to go? I've not fished New Hogan yet but seems to be a good fishery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Project_84 View Post
    New Hogan is very hit or miss. Either you catch a day and its lights out or you skunk.

With that being said, its is always best when it is super hot (literally) outside with 100+ temperatures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Project_84 View Post
    New Hogan is very hit or miss. Either you catch a day and its lights out or you skunk.

With that being said, its is always best when it is super hot (literally) outside with 100+ temperatures.
    Strange because my answer is the complete opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just George View Post
    Getting tired of the weeds, branches and Sea Lions on the Sacramento downtown.

When is a good time to hit New Hogan?

14. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast