Post Thanks / Like

Re: New boat - battery configuration

Running 2 batteries when you have accessories that are almost always using power is always a good idea. You only use one at a time so adding in a Perko switch is a good choice. Odds are pretty good that some day, you'll go to start the main and find you've got a weak battery. Being able to switch to a fresh fully charged battery will save the day. Onboard chargers are the way to go but get a good one like the MinnKota's. If you store your boat outside during the winter you can leave it plugged in and never worry about damaging your batteries when the temps drop below freezing.

Post Thanks / Like

You should do fine with 2 batteries. I run 2. My main battery is my starter battery and many of the accessories are wired to it - lights, gauges, bilge pump, fish finder and others. My other battery is primarily for my downriggers. MY vhf radio is also powered by the second battery.
    And yes an onboard charger is the way to go.
    If you run an electric trolling motor then you’ll need 1 or 2 additional batteries.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

3. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only had/have two batteries with a Perko switch except for the front 24V trolling motor that has 2 dedicated batteries.

On board battery charger is the way to go. I don't keep the charger plugged in all the time. I normally plug it in the night before going out to fish.

5. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New boat - battery configuration

Hey all,

My new boat should be here by the end of the week. I'm curious as to your thoughts and recommendations on battery configuration. How many batteries do you folks think I'll need to run the main motor, kicker (electric start),7 inch fish finder, and two electric scotty downriggers?

Also, on my last boat I charged each of my two batteries individually. I am considering an on board charger for the new boat. Thoughts or recommendations on this?

Thanks for the help!

7. Likes Paintguy liked this post