Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod and reel help!!

Favorite bay area rod and reel combo is a shimano curado casting rod 8ft matched to a Lexa 400 reel. This combo is so sweet together, the Lexa 400 reel is super powerful and I have caught 20lb stripers casting swimbaits, and drifting minnows, and even some big 15lb halibut trolling in the bay. It is not a trolling rod but I do use it for that every once in a while. While this is not a cheap setup it can handle anything you throw at in in the delta, bay, and local ocean waters. I even plan on using it if the albacore show up this year.
    DB

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okuma Celilo CAS-862MH... Approx 50-56$ Amazon and fisherman's warehouse.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

4. Likes dsa2780 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twharton View Post
    Thanks! What kind of reel would you recommend for drifting and trolling?
    Those standard abu garcia 6500 round reels work great. Good smooth drag, clicker for the bite alarm, solid construction.

Either that or go with something like an older green shimano curado 300. No clicker, but it's a tank and will last you a long time. Okuma makes a really cool reel called the Citrix 364, it's a bit heavy, but works great for trolling and drifting since it has the bait clicker. Not too pricey either.

6. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! What kind of reel would you recommend for drifting and trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

7'9" okuma SST back bouncer, it's like $80, can't go wrong. Sensitive tip and enough meat on the lower end to work a fish quickly.

Lots of the main rod companies make a similar rod. Lamiglas, loomis and such.

9. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twharton View Post
    Looking to buy a decent rod and reel for striper, I will be trolling and drifting. Just trying to find a good all around rod and reel setup. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.
    On the "economy" end of the spectrum, I would recommend an 8' Ugly Stick "Catfish" edition paired up with an Okuma Avenger size 6500 reel. The catfish 'stick has a sensitive tip with lots of backbone to bring in 20+ pound fish. The Avenger is a solid smooth running reel that will last for years when maintained properly.
    Ugly Stick makes a "Striper" edition rod, but it is designed more for trolling. I will leave it to fisherfolk with more expertise (and more money!) to add some mid and high-end selections.

12. Likes Paintguy, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod and reel help!!

Looking to buy a decent rod and reel for striper, I will be trolling and drifting. Just trying to find a good all around rod and reel setup. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.