Thread: Melones 6/12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melones 6/12

I don't see the problem. I limited out a day after full moon and had Bananas on board .

Hahaha, jk.

I'm heading out to Melones tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I don't think you need to be retrained. The full moon really does seem to put a damper on the trout/land locked salmon bite. It seems like they party all night and sleep all day. Which is not to say that I don't fish for trout/kokes the day after a full moon - I go fishing ANY time I get the chance. But my experience has led me to believe what I have been told for many years: "Don't bother even going out after a full moon; you won't catch anything." Of course, my argument is all anecdotal. I have no scientific evidence to back up this old fishing proverb.
    After a full Monday morning try from the Highway 49 bridge to the dam for a single 14" kokanee , I have to agree that mornings after a full moon may not be the most productive at NM. Did not see a lot of nets flying and definitely not for a lack of kokanee boats out on the lake yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinpolesready View Post
    I made it up to New Melones today Steve and the bite had slowed down considerably. I fished all the spots I have fished in past years and didn't get one hit. Two other boats with friends I knew did better catching three or four fish with two or more people fishing on each boat. I fished from sunrise until close to noon with not one hit so I pulled the plug and headed home. I am not saying that NM doesnt' have some nice kokes, maybe I need to be retrained? All in all it was still a great day on the water and the lake is looking really good. The paper says 91 percent so it's on it's way to filling up!

FPR Dale
    I don't think you need to be retrained. The full moon really does seem to put a damper on the trout/land locked salmon bite. It seems like they party all night and sleep all day. Which is not to say that I don't fish for trout/kokes the day after a full moon - I go fishing ANY time I get the chance. But my experience has led me to believe what I have been told for many years: "Don't bother even going out after a full moon; you won't catch anything." Of course, my argument is all anecdotal. I have no scientific evidence to back up this old fishing proverb.

4. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I made it up to New Melones today Steve and the bite had slowed down considerably. I fished all the spots I have fished in past years and didn't get one hit. Two other boats with friends I knew did better catching three or four fish with two or more people fishing on each boat. I fished from sunrise until close to noon with not one hit so I pulled the plug and headed home. I am not saying that NM doesnt' have some nice kokes, maybe I need to be retrained? All in all it was still a great day on the water and the lake is looking really good. The paper says 91 percent so it's on it's way to filling up!

FPR Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Guess we will wait and see, seems the ramps have been in the water more days then not of late. I'm going to check them again tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Steve, thanks for the report. Sounds like the hot bit at NM is the best place to fish for kokes this year. I plan on making it to the big lake next week. Looks like it will fill up this year maybe?

FPR, Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Melones 6/12

Can't believe the number of boats at Melones, its gone from a few, a month and a half ago, to many. The fleet seemed bunched up around Rose and the main body. Needed to be off the water by 9, fished the edges away from the fleet. Picked up 3, and it was time to go. Cookie cutters, 15" ish. Posting a pics is too tough, ya'all know what they look like. Apex at 50 did the trick.

9. Likes Stickman, CAL.NDN, one more cast liked this post