Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum Hull Cleaner Product?

NAPA aluminum cleaner is one product that is used by a lot of pontooners. Another suggestion I saw some of the guides doing this year after striper season, that kept their boats berthed on the Delta, was taking it to the truck stop in Lodi and paying the $40-50 to have them acid washed. That way you donít have to mess around with the chemicals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WD, I used shark hide on my Jetcraft after Salmon season last year. The boat was horribly stained, and look corroded after having it berthed at the marina on the river for the entire season. I used the Shark Hide cleaner and then followed it with the Shark Hide protectant. The cleaner was super easy as you just spray it on with a sprayer or a squirt bottle (takes a little longer), let it work for a few minutes, and rinse it off. It worked quickly, and worked great. Donít allow it to dry. Rinse it while itís still wet with the product. Easy peasy.

Applying the Shark Hide protectant was a little more challenging only because it was difficult getting underneath the boat where the parts were touching the trailer. I jacked the boat up with a large floor jack to reach these parts. The product just wipes on in even overlapping strokes. I did it in my garage with the garage door open and a fan. I did wear gloves, eye protection, and a scarf as a respirator just in case the product dropped down on me while under the boat.

Shark Hide recently came out with a new product that is aerosol can that you just spray on. After speaking to the manufacture, it doesnít protect as long as the wipe on product. Itís more to be used after good base coat of protectant has been established.

I donít think I took before and after pics, but will post if I find any on my camera roll.

Hope this helps.

4. Likes Waterdog, scnt junky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Aluminum Hull Cleaner Product?

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    There are a lot of products out there. When I would start with a really dirty hull I'd start with simple green and a green scotch brite pad using straight strokes. If I wanted to shine it up then I'd use Alumaprep 33 and a white scotch brite. To keep it that way I'd follow up with Sharkhide.
    A cool way to get the job done, thanks for the tips Steve...Ö.Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    I used Starbrite aluminum cleaner before trading in my old boat. I worked pretty hard at it and still felt it left things kind of blotchy.

I have not used it personally but recently read on another forum about a guy having good luck with Velocity Visions Alum Cleaner.

BTW, One of the reasons I bought an aluminum boat was to avoid having to keep it shiny and polished. Some of you guys are making me look bad! LOL
    Well after the accident I had to take it to Santa Rosa and a boat shop fixed the damage to the boat and trailer. But it required having my boat painted, it was covered by insurance from the guy who T boned me on the freeway...Ö.Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

7. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    There are a lot of products out there. When I would start with a really dirty hull I'd start with simple green and a green scotch brite pad using straight strokes. If I wanted to shine it up then I'd use Alumaprep 33 and a white scotch brite. To keep it that way I'd follow up with Sharkhide.
    Thatís what Iím looking for. Iíve actually good things about simple green and the scotch brute pad. May give that a try this weekend.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

11. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray, Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Starbrite aluminum cleaner before trading in my old boat. I worked pretty hard at it and still felt it left things kind of blotchy.

I have not used it personally but recently read on another forum about a guy having good luck with Velocity Visions Alum Cleaner.

BTW, One of the reasons I bought an aluminum boat was to avoid having to keep it shiny and polished. Some of you guys are making me look bad! LOL

13. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy a product that works on aluminum but it is very harsh and I only use it on the swim platform. It turns the aluminum back to a basic product with no shine. I get it at NAPA parts.......Jetspray

15. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't use Toon Bright.
    I used it on my Pontoon logs that did an okay job being that I had it slipped in a marina.
    But then decided to spray a small area on my Alumaweld that turned into streaks of ugly white. Anything that is dirty will be turned into a dirty faded splotchy mess.

17. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just want to clean it up as much as I can. Iím not looking at trying to get it shiny new. If I canít get all the grime and scum off, so be it.
    Today one friend mentioned a product called Slimy Grimy and another mentioned Toon Brite. Iíll look into these but Iím hoping someone here can suggest something they they have first hand experience with. I know shark hide works but I just donít want to deal with it, sounds a little harsh with the acid.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

19. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast