Post Thanks / Like

Re: SunRiver, Oregon

Trout fishing Mecca. I'd pick one or two lakes to target, mostly because it would take two or three summers to learn them all.

Wickiup is legendary for kokanee, rainbows and browns. It did have drought issues, but is still a great fishery. East Lake and Paulina are both volcano calderas and unique fisheries. That's where I'd go, both are famous for big browns. The browns can be fickle so it's kind of a trophy fishing deal. May not catch many, but you may catch a memorable one or two. There are kokanee in there too as an alternative. Odell is a kokanee factory. Loaded with relatively small, but tons of kokanee and some big mackinaw too. Fished it several times as a kid and it's a family favorite. Cultus, Crescent and Davis are also well known, but never have fished them. If you like warmer water for fishing and water sports, Billy Chinook is a little farther north, but has bass, kokanee and Bull Trout. Bull Trout are very similar to mackinaw but native to Oregon and one of those bucket list fish if you're into that type of thing.

I'm a jealous man. It's a beautiful area with all kinds of options. Best/Worst part is if you're staying in Sunriver, the Deschutes River runs right through it, and you'll probably be looking at dozens of big rainbows in any stretch of the river you stop at. It a technical fishery and a flyfishing deal for the most part, so if that's not your gig (not mine) at least you can enjoy the scenery. Hope you enjoy the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Paulina

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely fish Paulina and East Lake. Big browns and kokes.

https://www.eastlakeresort.com/fishi...n-brown-trout/
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Great place for a vacation. My brother has property there and says that Odell and Paulina are good fishing lakes. You may want to stay away from Wickiup which apparently used to be great, but recently nearly drained.

Post Thanks / Like

SunRiver, Oregon

Heading up for a weeks vacation to SunRiver, Oregon this Saturday.
    Taking my boat with me. I am not a fly fisherman.
    Anyone know the area and can point me in the right direction?
    From what I'm finding online looks like Lava Lake or Crane Prairie.
    Looks like it's all bait fishing, they don't mention trolling at all.