Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topaz. First day of summer

Topaz is still on the rise though a little slower due to cooler weather. Current level is 5,000.76 feet. It will warm up this week and the rise should increase. Lots of snow remains in the W. Walker drainage.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Based on debris field, the lake looks to be down a few feet lower than the high water mark. Did not notice any water in campground. I live in Smith Valley and the West Walker is really high right now. My boat is a Klamath Westcoaster and is a little narrow. With two 14 year old twins and a 9 year old, fixing lines and dealing with other needs can really cut into fishing time. I do have a larger boat, but it is not set up as well for fishing. Next time I take them, I will take the larger boat. Water was nice and smooth till about 1100 hrs. I would like to hit the West Walker above the lake, but I think it will be more than a few weeks before it calms down.

3. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Topaz. First day of summer

Quote Originally Posted by HNR View Post
    I have both also. Bought a lifetime CA lic in 2006 on the last day I was a CA resident. Also bought the lifetime hunting lic combo with deer tag and pig tags. Fished Topaz yesterday with three of my granddaughters. Only got two fish. a 15 1/2 foot boat may be a bit small for all of us. Kids and I had a good time.
    Generally it goes by weight and not much else. My boat has a V-6 engine and it has a 750 lb weight limit, the kicker is about 200 lbs with a hydraulic lift and I weigh 320 lbs, that only allows me one rider and some gear to be safe. Just PFD's are most important. I never purchased a lifetime, but with the taxes I do not pay here in Nevada, an out of state lic ain't so bad. I really want to fish the river when it settles down. Last time we looked it was close to the top of the park ramp. Did you see any water in the campground at Douglas park?...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I have both also. Bought a lifetime CA lic in 2006 on the last day I was a CA resident. Also bought the lifetime hunting lic combo with deer tag and pig tags. Fished Topaz yesterday with three of my granddaughters. Only got two fish. a 15 1/2 foot boat may be a bit small for all of us. Kids and I had a good time.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish-on View Post
    I assume Topaz is like Lake Tahoe and it doesn’t matter if you have a CA or NV fishing license. Am I correct? So I can be on the NV side of the lake and still be ok with a CA license ???
    I carry both all of the time, but it is a great place to go......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I assume Topaz is like Lake Tahoe and it doesn’t matter if you have a CA or NV fishing license. Am I correct? So I can be on the NV side of the lake and still be ok with a CA license ???
    YES you are correct!

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the local knowledge Jetspray

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What Gulp bait do you use there? The egg with the tail? If the West Walker is blown out next week I may hits take one for the kids to Topaz to try and find some trout
    We mostly use the dough bait. it is a little expensive for most but it has always worked. It is just south of the bug station towards Walker. I hope the lake has not come up so far that it is hard to access. We use a slip weight (sinker) rig. Worms work too with a marsh mellow and air...….Jetspray

15. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What Gulp bait do you use there? The egg with the tail? If the West Walker is blown out next week I may hits take one for the kids to Topaz to try and find some trout

17. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast